Author Topic: Isle of Sheppy viewpoint?  (Read 10194 times)

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
Isle of Sheppy viewpoint?
« on: June 13, 2017, 11:16:50 AM »
I'm on holiday next week on the Isle of Sheppy (19-23 June), and wondered if there's a good viewpoint for getting some footage of vessels heading in and out of the Medway, and alongside at Sheerness?

I'd also like to see if there are any ETAs published for ship arrivals and departures for nearby ports and wharves?

Thanks!
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

Offline Riverman2903

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Isle of Sheppy viewpoint?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 03:42:45 PM »
Ted Ingham is your man that should be able to advice (see link to his profile).

Last time I was in Sheerness (a good few years ago) inbound traffic was reasonably close to sheerness beach - at the port end - to get reasonable shots. Just keep your camera equipment safe out of sight from the locals...;-)

Peel Ports do not publish expected arrivals/departures so it's down to watching AIS to see what's moving I'm afraid.

http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php?action=profile;u=641

Offline Riverman2903

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 03:45:13 PM »
ps. He is pretty active on Facebook with lots of his photo's being posted on the 'Coastal Shipping' page.

Offline TEDINGHAM

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 08:35:17 AM »
Hello Chris,
As Riverman2903 states Peel Ports do not make their lists public.It's essential to monitor AIS and if you have a Marine Band receiver Medway VTS operate on Channel 74 (156.725).The three places I photograph the ships are. 1. On the beach by Garrison Point.Walk along the prom at Tescos and head West...at the end is a huge pile of rocks and then a notice not to go any further.That is the closest point from shore to ship.
2.Barton Point.Halfway along the road between Minster Beach and Barton Point is a vehicle access point to the beach.You can take the car along the shingle sea wall towards Barton Point.You can park anywhere along there and this year I have noticed it is free parking.I usually park opposite the "Richard Montgomery" wreck site.With a good telephoto you can get some good shots of shipping passing close to the wreck.This time of the year you may pick up heat haze and shimmer.Do not go along there in the evenings as the local lads use it as a race track doing hand brake turns Aaaaaargh!!!!3. Queenborough.If there is room you can park on the jetty by the All Tide landing Stage or the public car park by the toilets and pubs.(Free).If there are coasters due for the Swale then walk along the prom to the slipway near the wind turbines where you can also get some shots of the Thamesport and maybe a LNG tanker.
Have a look at the webcams on this site....http://www.iossc.org.uk/weather/index.php?n=4.
I will try and send you some photos to your website on Friday.
Hope this helps.
Best to you.
Ted

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 02:22:09 PM »

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 06:21:16 PM »
Brilliant, gents! Most helpful - I'll try to get a couple of filming sessions in during the week!
Chris

Offline TIMFARROW

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 07:15:06 AM »
Hi,
   Not sure I'm very happy about comments ref cameras,etc and locals - you will find that situation anywhere !
   Please don't forget the views you get by parking alongside Kingsferry Lift Bridge onto Sheppey and watching traffic for Ridham Dock pass through it and under new Sheppey Crossing.
Have a good week on our Island!
Regards
Tim Farrow.

Offline Riverman2903

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 11:25:35 AM »
Hello Tim, no insult was intended re: local's and cameras, that's why I added a  ;)

As you say it's a problem anywhere, I tend to keep my camera in it's case and then put that in a supermarket carrier bag when I'm somewhere I don't know (or do know!)

Andrew

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 03:13:04 PM »
It should be borne in mind that there is not an awful lot of traffic into the Medway. You have a good chance of sitting there all day and seeing next to nothing.
Thamesport is all but closed, except for a few container feeders; Sheerness is a shadow of its former self. Chatham, Rochester and Ridham are far from thriving. Best choose a day when you know thre is a LNG tanker around. After midday, if it is sunny, the best viewpoint for arriving and departing traffic is from Grain village on the other side

Offline TEDINGHAM

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 09:04:05 AM »
Hello Chris,
I have just uploaded my latest video on You Tube and this site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZdhsNGYFpk

As Bob mentioned you do get periods of no shipping at all.I was lucky on the first day but Ridham and Grovehurst were empty as was Thamesport. If you look at my previous videos there are days when it all can be full.
Cheers, Ted
PS If you want to view the shipping in Sea Reach then its the top of The Leas at Minster and there's a cafe for refreshments.

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 06:59:03 PM »
Excellent video, Ted, as always - I have moments of jealousy when I think I might have to buy another boat!

Have to see what filming opportunities I get during the week!
Chris

Offline freightly

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Pakistan Cargo
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2024, 11:42:14 AM »
Yes. I have also visited his page  'Coastal Shipping' on facebook. It is such a feat,.!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk