Author Topic: Yacht tenders  (Read 18177 times)

Offline Kyle Stubbs

• Top Poster
  • Something something Danger Zone.
    • View Profile
    • Puget Ships
Re: Yacht tenders
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 04:23:53 PM »
If anything deserved a separate category in Special Purpose Vessels first, it would probably be "Pollution Control Vessels." Of the 15 photos I've added to that general category, 11 fall under that umbrella.

I still don't see why a yacht supplier is any different from a crew vessel not used for oilfield purposes. Or a clear line between what defines an "Off Shore Crew Boat" from one lumped in with the workboat category, as their is no listed definition on the site for either. Clarifying that line could easily provide a suitable home for yacht suppliers in an area where people are bound to look for than anyways, and in line with their usual classification in Equasis.
"Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often." -Mark Twain

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 08:26:31 AM »
Sorry - I don't get the logic of putting them with ships lifeboats and tenders. In this context, 'tenders' refers to the small boats launched from cruise ships to take passengers ashore. Yacht tenders are a totally different animal. They are oceangoing vessels which support mega-yachts. Please keep yacht tenders in special purpose ships. There are enough categories and sub categories for people to choose the wrong one as it is!

Brgds
Phil

Offline Ken Smith

• President Emeritus
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 10:58:21 AM »
Phil,
I completely agree with your point about there being enough categories as it is and that includes Sub Categories, it has been pointed out that there are very few of these craft so with that that in mind they can quite easily be incorporated within the "Special Purpose Category" after all that is what they are, Special Purpose vessels.

Hope you are keeping well
Kind Regards
Ken

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 05:21:46 PM »
I think that we can conclude the discussion on "yacht tenders" with the decision that they are to be entered in the main Special Purpose Ships category (and a sub-category will only be re-considered if the estimated numbers become large - say 1000+ images).

It would helpful if members spot existing examples categorised elsewhere that they move them accordingly (adding a note in the Description such as "Yacht tender").

I see that we do not have a FAQ guidance for Special Purpose Ships.  A short one would be useful.  Presumably the specific points include:

a) the vessel must be designed or modified for a specific prime function that is not covered by other existing categories (eg, a tug with fire monitors remains a tug, and is not a "special purpose firefighting vessel").

b) unless there is a relevant existing subcategory photos should be uploaded to the main Special Purpose Ships.

c) the nature of vessel's "special service" must be stated in the Description/Photo Details.

But there may be other points to make.  When we have a FAQ, we can add a note in the members' forum.

Lastly, my inclination at present would be not to introduce any new subcategory unless we have a volunteer to take it on!  We aleady have a number of categories without any active Co-ordinator or Photo editor.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk