Author Topic: May 2017 Activity (Updated 05-23-17)  (Read 14953 times)

Offline Steven Collingwood

• Photo Corrections
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Steven Collingwood on SmugMug
May 2017 Activity (Updated 05-23-17)
« on: May 12, 2017, 11:43:59 AM »
05-15-17 In an attempt to hear all those who commented on my forum posts, I will change my posting style to a monthly activity report as opposed to a report on each day I do something.  Hopefully this will allow three things-
- Trip reports that don't get too long.
- Not cluttering up the trip report
forum.
- Still letting others now what I am seeing and doing.
Please understand, I take pictures and post them as a hobby and way of showing my interest in all things ships.  I am not a professional photographer, though I am trying to improve my quality.  Nor I am trying to stir up a lot of controversy.  If the membership feels like I am causing a lot of problems, please let me know and I will try to change or if needed, leave shipspotting.com.  Thanks.
[/i][/b][/b][/i][/u]

05-03-17
Went to Fort Monroe Hampton VA.
Still trying to get used to my new camera.  Very bright conditions, probably limited quality.
Ships seen include - Atlantic Conveyor, MSC Barabara, Seamax Norwalk, USNS Arctic, USS Jason Dunham, and a number of US Navy LCAC units.

05-06-17
Spent another day on the Virginia Peninsula.  Picture conditions were a little better today.
Ships seen include - Chicago, Cornhusker State, Great Navigator, Maersk Iowa, Mataquito, Octavia, Primavera, UBC Miami, USCGC Harriet Lane, and USS Forrest Sherman. TTFN.

05-11-17
Went to Fort Macon Atlantic Beach (Morehead City NC) and watched the tanker BOW HUNTER come in.

05-14-17
Went to Wilmington, Southport, and Fort Fisher NC.  Saw some ferries.  Not a lot of other activity while I was there.

05-17 & 05-18-17
Spent some time both days at Fort Monroe (entrance to Hampton Roads) in Virginia.  Ships seen include - Algoma Vision, CMA CGM La Travita, CMA CGM Lorie, CSCL Africa, Mehuin, MOL Marvel, MSC Florentina, Oliva R, and ZIM Chicago.

05-22-17
Spent some more time at Fort Monroe Hampton VA.  Probably last ship spotting time for at least a week or more.  Also had to fight rainy weather.  Ships seen include-
Ever Lambet, Ken Goh, Nevzat Kalkavan and YM Unity.  Also some US Navy including 2 Cruisers, 1 Destroyer, 1 Amphibious Assault Ship and 2 MSC Units.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:35:43 AM by Steven Collingwood »
Steven Collingwood

Offline Robbie

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Went to Morehead City
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 01:07:27 AM »
Was this sort of post the idea of the administrators when they created this category within the forum?

I don't mean to be rude but when you uploaded the photo's Bow Hector it can be assumed you made a trip to the port to see a ship. I thought this category was more for photographers who make trips overseas to photograph ships and can discuss locations/services and talk about odd/different ships not seen in their own normal area.

Regards Robbie

Offline Kyle Stubbs

• Top Poster
  • Something something Danger Zone.
    • View Profile
    • Puget Ships
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 01:17:30 AM »
I for one find this an interesting post, as I had no idea that Morehead City even received traffic bigger than fishing boats and the odd tug and barge. If Steven hadn't enlightened us to this point, I would have continued to be ignorant of that fact, as chances are I probably wouldn't have closely looked at an individual photo of a product tanker.

I don't see any regular posters from the North Carolina coast on this site that we could have asked if we were travelling through the region, so isn't that exactly the intention of this category, to inform us of locations we may not have known of where shipping traffic can be seen?

V/r,
Kyle
"Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often." -Mark Twain

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 01:24:43 PM »
Was this sort of post the idea of the administrators when they created this category within the forum?

I believe that's exactly what this forum is for

Trip reports
Share information about your latest trip with a ship, shipspotting trip or vacation on this forum.

I agree with Kyle. I would also like to see other members doing the same.. including me  :)

Regards

Bob

Offline Robbie

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: May 2017 Activity (Updated 05-23-17)
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 09:17:45 PM »
When someone uploads a photo onto shipspotting and puts the location and date on the photo it defeats the purpose of making trip reports. When you upload a photo it is obvious you took a trip down to see a ship. If someone is really interested in locations a comment can be placed on a photo asking where the photographer was when they took the shot.

I went to Port Nelson to photograph the Catharina Schulte, ANL Elinga, Tenacious & Trans Future 7 last week. I uploaded the Catharina Schulte so anyone who saw the photo can think "he made a trip down to see it"

To me that's not what I'd want to see in the trip report forum. If this is what shipspotters want to read I'll happily start posting my trips on here and what I see each time.

Offline Brent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 06:04:24 AM »
I think just leave it to the individuals interpretation, administrators will get posters back in line if they go "off piste".
Interesting to read of your trips Steve, look forward to further updates. I could write a novel about my last trip to Tauranga NZ, a journey of several hours and disconcerting to find everything bar one has changed for the worse. But the pain is still there for now.
I don't mind reviewing your Nelson excursion Robbie, I made a family visit last year not expecting my camera to see any action but our hosts secretly arranged brunch at a waterfront restaurant to time it with the arrival of one of the ANL's - pretty sure was Elinga, unfortunately needed to be there quarter of an hour earlier so no photo but we still had an enjoyable time. See you haven't posted that yet, keen to see.
Cheers
Brent

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 09:53:44 AM »
Exactly so, Brent
See my comment yesterday on another thread: http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php/topic,15712.msg83386.html#msg83386

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 12:00:26 PM »
As someone, who has regularly posted trip reports, I agree with most points as far as photos are concerned. If a photo of mv XYZ was posted as photgraphed in Rotterdam, obviously the photographer was there.
My posts tend to be more of a travelogue giving photo locations (I will be adding to this category more this year). In addition, I like to give my opinions on places to stay and eat as this may help others considering similar trips. Also I do not list all ships photgraphed as this would take a whole new category
Please advise if this is not of interest and I will decease.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk