Author Topic: TANKERS - Help the Admins, please  (Read 16091 times)

Offline snocky

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: TANKERS - Help the Admins, please
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 11:42:10 AM »
Fleet of tankers with first names HARBOUR. Like HARBOUR FASHION , HARBOUR FOUNTAIN & a few more. Registered in portugal & i think owned by german firm. Appr. reply. "BOB".

Online davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2019, 01:29:25 PM »
The simple answer seems to be that each tanker is owned by a separate German investment  company, organised by Bernhard Schulte - eg registered owner of HARBOUR FASHIOS is Fünfte Nordtank-Hamburg GmbH.  The ships' managers are TB Marine Shipmanagement GmbH & Co KG, Hamburg; operators MOL Nordic Tankers A/S, Hellerup, Denmark (a whioolly-owned subsidiary of MOL Chemical Tankers Pte Ltd, Singapore since 1/2019)

For more, see note by Neale Rosanoski here: http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1951411
The ships seem to carry TB Marine's colours now.

Offline Baldizza

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2022, 12:47:49 PM »
OK, if I will put a photo of a tanker discharging crude oil I will put her in the chemical and product tanker if so is registered in the site. Some time ago one of my photo of a tanker discharging crude oil was moved from the category crude to chemical product. But this is deceptive! These tankers will never transport chemical in any form, unless in drums for on board use. If I understood well we cannot have a category crude/ product tanker but why we should not in this case simply connect the category to the type of cargo and leave these ships registered in two different categories? Which is the problem with that? Regards. Baldizza.

Offline pieter melissen

• Photo Corrections
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2022, 03:31:58 PM »
Baldizza, thank you for your question. The situation is not quite as you describe.
There are chemical tankers, chemical/product tankers, crude oil/product tankers and crude oil tankers.  (and other misscellaneous tankers)
Crude oil tankers can carry only crude oil or sometimes black products
Crude oil/product tankers  have specifically coated tanks which allows them to carry white products/black product and crude oil.
Chemical/product tankers carry mostly white products and mild chemicals (IMO III) and when getting older they can switch to black products or even crude oil too.

Pure chemical tankers (stainless steel tanks) will carry more difficult chemicals.

Now this is the theoretical situation, in practice there will be more overlap than I describe here, (not even talking about vegetable oils etc).
A long time ago it was decided that any vessel capable of carrying white products will be in one category. That includes the Long Range 1, LR2 and LR3 tankers that will carry crude oil alternatively with products. In my home port Rotterdam I see those ships loading and unloading both products and crude oil. Now as we do not classify a ship according the cargo it is handling at a time, a decision has to be made, and that was to classify those ships under the chemical/product tanker class. (I cannot answer the question why there is no separate class for chemical tankers).
Personally speaking I am looking forward to the day when we are categorising the tankers, just like bulk carriers, according to age brackets. That would save everybody a lot of work, and people like you the agony of having to deal with decisions that are unlogical from your point of view.