Author Topic: France / Norway  (Read 6203 times)

Offline emw

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
France / Norway
« on: May 11, 2006, 11:26:44 PM »
I'm surprised that nobody has noted here that the Norway (renamed Blue Lady for scrapping) is reported in http://www.maritimematters.com/ to have left her Port Klang anchorage under tow for breaking at Alang.  

A sad end.

Mike

Offline Holger Jaschob

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: France / Norway
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 06:05:23 AM »
Hi Mike!

Take a look at the forum topic "s/s norway sold to scrappers???". There are several statements. This topic has been viewed 296 times at the moment.

Regards,
Holger

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 03:44:11 PM »
Information direct from the demolition markets states that the Blue Lady is due to arrive Alang shortly. However, it is widely anticipated that the Green Lobby will exert pressure on the local authorities to detain the vessel on arrival in respect of the alleged 900 tonnes of toxic material remaining on board. Inspections are likely to take place but it could be months before anything is resovled.  

Phil

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 02:18:06 AM »
I have come across conflicting information which the person who pointed me towards this information says that this sites information is normaly pretty accurate.

They are reporting that the ship is still on the market at $27mil USD and she is currently undertow bound for Dubai not Alang?

http://www.tug-barge.com/p508.htm

Perhaps somebody may be intrested in her from that region, have the malasian authorites told Star to move it out of their waters?

Who knows hopefuly if it is correct she is bound for Dubai the end is not near, but that is still too close to Alang for my liking.

update 14/05/06 have heard reports that the ship has been blocked from entering Indian Waters by the Indian Supreme Court.

Offline Lucas Latreche

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://raflucgr.ra.funpic.de
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 03:01:08 PM »
hope that there are still potential buyer who can save her, I don't think that we have a lot of times.

Sometimes I am asking if Star cruises make fun of people, probably because they don't want that we know where is exactly the ship, because they know that they will have problem with organisation such greenpeace and it will finish as the Clemenceau.

There are rumours that the ship could have a abestos removing in Dubai, but I don't know a shipyard which do that there, and I don't think that Dubai want this ship in their waters.

Alang yards don't confirm that they will receive the ship and scrapp her, nothing is yet official. So that's why we never know what is really happening.

Cheers
Lucas
8-) Mr Express Apollon

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 03:11:18 PM »
Just one small point. Star Cruises/NCL no longer have anything to do with the vessel. They sold her to Bangladesh cash buyers in January, hence the name change to Blue Lady. The cash buyer is a known speculator who intends to resell her for demolition. I think that any accusations against Star Cruises are a little unfair at this stage.  

Phil

Offline portagent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?uid=3218
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 05:56:41 PM »
Swiss newspaper "Basler Zeitung" reports May 15,2006 (in free translation and short version) :

"The Ministry of Environment of the State of Gujarat refused BLUE LADY (ex NORWAY) entering territorial waters, because of abt. 900 tons of asbestos on board of the vessel. This "order" is valid until final decission is taken by Indian High Court".

Did you expect anything else ?
dead slow ahead !  :-)
best regards, Klaus

Offline kb23060

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 09:56:20 AM »

portagent wrote:
Swiss newspaper "Basler Zeitung" reports May 15,2006 (in free translation and short version) :

"The Ministry of Environment of the State of Gujarat refused BLUE LADY (ex NORWAY) entering territorial waters, because of abt. 900 tons of asbestos on board of the vessel. This "order" is valid until final decission is taken by Indian High Court".

Did you expect anything else ?

Concerning case of ROTTERDAM in Gdańsk/Danzig it is not a surprise. Even India is not willing to cope with asbestos!

Greetings to all.

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 02:12:58 PM »
I have been approached by a gentleman who has asked my to leave his name anonymus, but is writing a book on the History of this ship.

He was wondering if anybody knows which tug(s) currently had her under tow?  The reason he says tugs is that 1 tug towed her from Germany but he has heard reports that up to 3 tugs are towing currently.

Has any body heard any confirmed reports on her next destination as he has heard reports that she is going to Dubai for a Hull Inspection?

Any information you can provide would be great so I can pass it on to him.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk