Author Topic: 2016 Eurodash  (Read 4376 times)

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
2016 Eurodash
« on: May 10, 2016, 03:28:42 PM »
Following various other reports, this is fairly similar with subtle differencies.
Travelled with DFDS from Dover to Dunkerque which was quiet with nothing in the container or bulk berths near the ferry. To the east, there was only 1 bulker. So to Zeebrugge which had a load of car carriers but little else. Thence to Terneuzen for 2 nights. Plenty of traffic in & out of the Gent canal and river traffic to & from Antwerp. Was going to go on the "Flandria" for a trip round the bits of Antwerp docks that you cannot normally see but could not park anywhere near (Any suggestions?) Next to Rotterdam for 3 days where, again, there was loads of traffic. I reckon that on a clear day, you could photo traffic in & out of Maasvlaakte from Landtong Rozenburg with a 200mm telephoto lens. Was a little hazy for that.
Notice they are widening the passage at Breeddiep to allow easier access from Hook of Holland to Europoort. Also went all the way round to Slaag Maasmond via Mississippihaven & Amazonehaven.
Set off for Kiel canal again but will probably not bother again; it was very quiet BUT I did find a fantastic place to stay on the South bank at Osterronnfeld - the Kanal-Cafe. This is really a restaurant with rooms two of which overlook the canal and you could sit in your bedroom and photo the passing ships. A shame as I will not be back till at least next year. I may well try Ottendorf next as recommended by PietB
Anyway long drive back to Terneuzen. Overnight then shortish drive back to Dunkerque.
A good trip with some reservation; 1150 photos of about 500 ships

Offline PietB

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Eurodash
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 09:45:29 PM »
Thanks Russell, Always good to read a trip report in the trip report section. Wish more members would contribute similar articles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk