Author Topic: Shipspotting at Goole  (Read 5010 times)

Offline Colwyn Grace

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Shipspotting at Goole
« on: February 09, 2016, 04:08:32 PM »
Had a couple of hours at Goole this a.m., got some nice pics of Fast Julia, Sandal, and Carolin G in West Dock, Antonia and Johanna Desiree in Aldam Dock and Tharsis on the Steel berth. Not a bad day apart from ABP having erected a nice shiny new security fence on top of the West Dock wall on Aire Street meaning you now have to poke the camera lens between the fence palings which is not an ideal situation. I've no doubt they will quote the usual elf'n'safety/security argument but I've been going to Goole for 32yrs and nothing much seems to have changed to warrant the fence.

Offline Brian Brady

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Shipspotting at Goole
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 07:11:20 PM »
Hello Colwyn, I have lived in Goole all my life and worked on the Docks there for 38 years. I have been taking photos in and around the Docks since the late 1980s. I too have noticed the new fences at West Dock along Bridge Street and do wonder why they are needed. The other Dock areas that had similar fences were because Containers were stowed there making it a security reason ! I was on West Dock Bridge some months ago chatting to a local photographer and he told me that he was taking photos from the Bridge and a Dock Security employee told him to stop taking photos as ABP did not approve. He told the security man that he was on a public footpath and was not breaking any laws ! The security man was not pleased with his answer and told him to stop taking photos, needless to say he told him where to go !! We have one public right of way from Aire Street to across Ocean Locks. Will this be the next area for a high fence to be erected instead of the low one that is there now ?? 

Offline Colwyn Grace

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 08:26:23 PM »
Greetings Brian, I got Bridge St and Aire St mixed up, its an age thing! Funny you should mention the Security man because a few weeks ago I was stopped and spoken to by Port Security on the bridge at West Dock and the bloke was a perfect gent!! He told me that he had spoken to lots of shipspotters, that he didn't realise how many there were and that he had been told by ABP to approach anyone paying undue attention to the port activities, (Sleepy Hollow? - activity? - surely not?) I must say he was very reasonable. I suppose there's good and bad in all jobs.

Offline Brian Brady

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 09:16:38 PM »
Hello Colwyn, I have never had a problem with them, maybe because I knew a few ! as you say good and bad everywhere ! Hope that you enjoyed your trip to Goole. It may be Sleepy Hollow but not everywhere has Ships going through the middle of the Streets eh !

Best Wishes, Bry

Offline Kristian

• Ripping Yarns
  • Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • H.C. Shipping & Chartering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 11:34:24 AM »
More distressing than anything is I noted last time over that they've closed the Macintosh Arms ("The Mac"). Probably my favourite pub in the World, gone.
Was that chat moribund? I don't think so.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk