Author Topic: Shipping Magazines  (Read 4407 times)

Offline lotty

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Shipping Magazines
« on: November 06, 2015, 06:41:47 AM »
Hi
i just wondered what shipping type magazines you find interesting and useful. My interests are around current day shipping (mainly cargo etc). Although the info on this forum is good i am finding it difficult finding info for myself.
Any pointers appreciated

Offline SIMON SMITH

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping Magazines
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 05:39:14 PM »
Hello,

For up to date information on short-sea shipping the bi-monthly magazine "Coastal Shipping" is a very good source. Whilst it focuses primarily on European vessels there are regular reports from further a field as well as articles on vessels of the past. You can find more information at the website, www.coastalshipping.co.uk

Rgds
Simon

Offline echobow

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 07:37:07 PM »
Hey,

I like "Ships monthly", have read some editions & can recommend it. Unfortunately it's quite difficult to get this magazine here in Germany.

Regards, David

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 08:06:36 AM »
If you are dealing with the shipping industry on a daily basis, good ol Lloyd's List remains the best publication available. I have lost track since about 2003 what else is around, but I guess Tradewinds is still available, as well as Fairplay (?). The set back of these publication being that they are intended for proessionals and you therefore also pay professional prices. For hobby purposes Marine News is of course what you should go for.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 05:08:31 PM »
For just keeping up with some of what is happening across shipping, just subscribe to Piet Sinke's "daily cuttings", for free.  A quick scan of this goes well with the first coffee of the day.

today's: http://newsletter.maasmondmaritime.com/ShippingNewsPdf/magazine.pdf
subscribe: http://www.maasmondmaritime.com/en/subscribe/

Offline seaway7228

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 07:40:42 AM »
The World Ship Society monthly magazine is accurate and provides a great deal of info. Sometimes a little late, but faster than it was years back, now its digitlized. Good value, accurate content..... I find Tradewinds and Lloyds are good but lack accuracy on some occasions. I dont pay for either and wouldnt ever do so, too expensive for individuals unless for business, or of course those who dont mind the cost.

Offline Mac Mackay

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipfax
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 12:15:37 AM »
If your interest stretches to North America, don't bother with Ship's Monthly or Sea Breezes. I cancelled subscriptions to them long ago, since their editors apparently did not have recourse to maps west of Land's End, or the the wits to fact check. Their cringeworthy errors relating to Canada and the United States put me off completely.
I suggest Professional Mariner for an interesting slant on US shipping - and it has an online version. GCaptain, which is entirely on-line is also worthwhile - and free.
Speaking of free sites Boatnerd is essential for the Great Lakes, and has excellent coverage of international ships on the Lakes [called "Salties"].

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk