Author Topic: Mirror and Tele-converter lenses.  (Read 3254 times)

Offline TX2

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Mirror and Tele-converter lenses.
« on: November 04, 2015, 09:33:16 AM »
I am thinking of upgrading to a 500mm lens and was wonderng if I can save money without compromising quality by purchasing a mirror or tele-converter lens.I cannot see one on the net that offers auto focus although they sell for between
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:36:01 AM by TX2 »

Offline Nigel Price

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Mirror and Tele-converter lenses.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 10:19:36 AM »
My experience, for what it is worth...... Years ago, (pre-digital )I had a Minolta SLR camera with several lens including a Mirror lens - a 500mm one in this case. It was not auto focus. I found it really difficult for some reason to get an exact sharp focus all of the time. More often than I would like I was just slightly out. A zoom lens seemed to be much more forgiving in this regard- easier to get an acceptably sharp image. Interested to know if anyone else had the same experience. Presumably there are autofocus ones nowadays that get around this issue.

Offline Willem Smit

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 11:32:33 AM »
I had the same experience as Nigel. I sold my Panagor f8-500mm mirror-lens (M42) because it was nearly impossible to make a sharp picture. You need a very sturdy tripod. The images were very soft. I only made about 25 pictures and then I sold the lens. I warned the man who wanted to buy my lens not to have great expectations, but he was as stubborn as I was.

My advice: don't buy !

Offline TX2

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 09:06:41 PM »
Thanks very much gentlemen,your comments have convince me that a "proper" zoom lens is the way to go.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 08:25:23 AM »
Well depending on your budget, there are options. I have seen results with the Canon 500 F4 lense in combinaton with a 1.4 converter that really look the part. (Race car photography so the object is also moving fast). The only minor disadvantage is the price of it all, just under 10000 Euro, but quality usually has a price.  :)

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 01:48:06 PM »
Just bought myself a Canon 1.4 teleconverter. Had barely time to test it, and the light condition in Tokyo was not perfect, but I hope that tomorrow I'll have more opportunities to test it. Cost me about 130$ second hand.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk