Author Topic: Topic 4: View of ship  (Read 15710 times)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Topic 4: View of ship
« on: September 05, 2015, 01:05:03 PM »
The site standard currently reads:
Full ships only. Foreground obstructions must not restrict the view of the ship. For all views, bows or sterns must not be cropped off. Bow and stern shots may be acceptable if they show the vessel from the waterline to the top of the superstructure.

Ships alongside quays are allowed providing the ship can be clearly seen and is free of obstructions such as buildings, walkways and cranes and have no excessive foreground obstruction. For bow and stern shots of ships alongside the whole length of the ship must be able to be seen, part views of bows and sterns are not acceptable.  For side shots the whole length of the Hull must be clearly shown above the quayside, if any part falls below the quayside it will not be accepted.

What types of

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Topic 4: View of ship
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 01:47:14 PM »
Hi all,

In my opinion attending tugs, pilot boats and bunkering vessels, waste disposal vessels etc. should not be considered as obstructions.
Overhang of an adjacent vessel in my eyes is an obstruction.

Bow and stern shots should also be accepted if the ship is alongside a quay if the vessel is shown from the waterline to the top of the superstructure. The addition "For bow and stern shots of ships alongside the whole length of the ship must be able to be seen" should be dropped. I never understood why bow and stern shots from the waterline to the superstructure are acceptable when the ship is sailing, and not acceptable when it's berthed.

I'd really welcome examples of acceptable/non-acceptable images because I never did and I still don't comprehend the last sentence of this site standard (the one dealing with side shots).

kind regards,
Jens

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 02:06:36 PM »
Since ships spend fairly great deal of their working life alongside, port infrastructure like cranes and ramps should not automatically be considered forbidden obstructions, as long as they are within some "common sense" - and now with megaboxers we routinelly have bridges hidden behind cranes (and the photos like these are accepted).

Offline Tomislav Raymondi

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 02:16:47 PM »
Nowadays if you take a photo in a terminal container dock, it will be very difficult to take a clear photo of the ship mainly due to the container cranes, vehicles, stowage of containers on the dock and so on, this rule would be more useful for bulk carrier or heavy weight ships or in docks which do not operate with containerised cargoes, so if the photo shows a ship loading or discharging packages, machineries, extra large packages, bulk cargoes and so on this in my personal opinion can be a very insteresting or educative photos.

Regards

Tomi.

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 02:48:02 PM »
There was once a photo put up for deletion because a berthed heavylift ship was "obstructed" by the cargo she was unloading.  I think photos like that, where an obstructing object has a some relation to the ship, should remain as long as the ship isn't fully obstructed.

Also, I'm not sure about photos with thin foreground obstructions, like a light posts or yachts' masts (one or more).  Is such acceptable?
Regards,
Denis

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 08:08:58 PM »
I agree with Denis, any obstructions that relate to the ship should be allowed, provided they do not totally obstruct the ship. No lampposts, cables etc.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 08:54:22 PM »
Vessels alongside should be a little more relaxed on the rules when it comes to obstructions by such as cranes/barges/tugs and other assisting and service vessels.

Also direct bow or stern shots,, is it really necessary that the whole mast is visible and on the lower side the waterline ? Here as in others same problem,,where to draw the line where the picture is still acceptable to post. 

The whole length of the ship in a stern/bow shot is a question worth,,,special if one allows not a full length, but then 50 % of length,,or must 70  or 40 still ok ?  It will be a rather discussable point afterwards.

Overhang of another vessel should not be. Same as above,,where to draw the line how much overhang/mast/length, it will be a discuss point for ever and ever
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 05:07:55 AM »
I was wandering re. sailing boats/yachts...I have seen some pretty good scenes with big sailing yachts in action but...If the entire mast and sails are included, the hull is too small to be meaningfully visible. If I zoom in on the hall the photo will be unacceptable as the entire mast is not visible. Even in many yachting magazines many photos don't show the entire mast.
Any thoughts that we change that? maybe allow the upper xyz percentage of the mast to be out of the photo?

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 08:31:47 AM »
I was almost expecting my photo http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2140676 to be deleted when posted, are views like this ok?

Offline Anthony Legg

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 08:50:34 AM »
Thanks for the opportunity to comment.
With so many restrictions on where photographs can be taken due to port security, such as fences, obstructions, etc., some lee way should be allowed. However I appreciate that this could prove more difficult to control than retaining the current rules. No simple answers spring to mind, but mentioned for member consideration.

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 11:05:23 AM »
Obstructions at times can't be avoided, whether you are taking the shot from the off side or wharf side, a container ship is hard to take shots of from the wharf side with out a container crane in it, a ship berthing is hard not get tugs or lines boats in the shot, some times you can't avoid light towers, if there is obstructions and the are minor and don't dominate the shot and you can still clearly see the ship and it is clear the obstruction could not be avoided, we hats wrong with that?

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 01:58:34 PM »
I was almost expecting my photo http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2140676 to be deleted when posted, are views like this ok?

I think here the  "only shot of the ship on site" rule has been applied, but it is the kind of thing I often encounter, when shooting tankers. When the "sunny" side is obstructed, the other side might be very much against the light, which can be nasty espcially during winter days. In case of a fully laden tanker the jetty might completely block the view on the hull of the ship. In those circumstances I would not post a shot. (unless the above mentioned  rule can be applied)

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 06:21:53 PM »
Some common sense is needed with this. For example shots like Patrick Hill's are perfectly acceptable to me, but they do highlight perhaps a bigger issue with standards = consistency of application. I have posted approx. 20 shots of tankers at Immingham Oil terminal from exactly the same spot as Patrick. All were accepted except for one which was rejected because the jetty obstruction!!!!!

No matter what the site standards are, there will be problems unless they are applied consistently. If an exception is allowed then a clear note should be added to the comments to explain why. Not sure how you deal with my issue when the exception is the deleted one.

Offline Pier Master

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • The Pier Master
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 07:32:34 PM »
Like simonwp says... "Some common sense is needed with this".

I would say 100% of the vessels in the dry dock/patent slipway category have some form of obstruction. Should they be removed?

Regards, Brian. AKA The Pier Master.
Blistering barnacles...

Offline jadran

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 10:01:57 AM »

SCENES/SHOTS FROM SHIPYARDS / SHIP REPAIR YARDS

For photos taken from a shipyard/ship repair yard should be allowed certain obstructions caused by shore or floating cranes and/or other various work utilities including gangways for access of workers, hoses for supply of various consumables, etc ....... because, a shipyard/ship repair yard is a work space where works are being carried out all the time and all around the ship !

Regards / Jadran

... got married to ships

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk