Author Topic: First Look at new Condor Liberation on Austal 102 hull:  (Read 4349 times)

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
First Look at new Condor Liberation on Austal 102 hull:
« on: February 13, 2015, 02:50:16 PM »
I was lucky enough to be invited for a first look around the new Channel Islands ferry, Condor Liberation, as she is undergoing her final fit-out in Poole Harbour.

looks like being a very impressive ship, and judging from the video footage and reports seen from her big sister - think she'll become a very nice ship to sail aboard. I'm hoping for a trip aboard early in her new career!

There's part 1 of my video report on the video page:
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
Re: First Look at new Condor Liberation on Austal 102 hull:
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 09:18:28 AM »
The second part of this video filmed aboard the brand new Condor Liberation is now online on this site's video page:
Chris

Offline Brian Wayne Scott

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 05:05:00 AM »
Thank you for the videos Chris.

I was wondering what was happening to her.

I managed to get some photos after the build at the Austal complex in Henderson, Western Australia back in 2010.

Apparently it was built without there being an order for the vessel to give the workers something to do during a bit of a lull.

Then it just sat there with the occasional outing until it was eventually sold.

I'm pleased to see what is happening to her.

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 07:18:33 AM »
I think she's looking pretty good, Brian. One way or another, I'm planning to take a trip aboard this spring, so we'll see how she looks when complete, and get the chance to see how she rides.

I should think that Austal probably regret building an on-spec hull, as she must have been costing a lot of interest sitting there, but at least they now have an second ship of this design at work, rather than alongside. I understand that several people looked at her in Aus, and there were a couple of options, but nothing really happened until she fitted into place with Condor.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:20:20 AM by chrisg46 »
Chris

Offline hansfair

• Just popping in
  • Hans Fairhurst
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 11:35:43 AM »
Excellent video Chris, thanks very much. Like Brian, I also managed a number of shots of her at the Austal jetty over the years and in dry-dock just before her departure. Always a pleasing sight and great to see she finally has a job. All credit to Austal for the gesture of building a ship just to keep the employees in work.
The blurb on the Condor website describes her as "coming back" to England and "returning" to England, I didn't realise she had already been there before the Philipines...or are they just talking a load of old "marketing"?   ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk