Author Topic: More box-giants are coming  (Read 13241 times)

Offline spotti

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
More box-giants are coming
« on: December 19, 2014, 10:38:01 AM »
A local maritime site is today quoting Trade Winds: several ship owners are in talks with
shipyards for a total of 30 box ships of more than 20000 TEU. Evergreen, OOCL, and Maersk
Line are mentioned.
Somebody with more details?

BR Niels

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: More box-giants are coming
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 11:04:40 AM »
It's actually Evergreen, OOCL and MOL who are expected to order 20,000+ TEU ships. The MOL ships are likely to be owned by Costamare, who will order at Korean yards and Shoei Kisen who will order at Imabari, Japan.

Maersk Line are mentioned only in the context of 3500 TEU wide-beam feeder vessels. They are not expected to order mega ships any time soon.

Brgds
Phil

Offline jan_t

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jantiedemann.de
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 11:15:04 AM »
They are not expected to order mega ships any time soon.

Not strictly true. A number of carriers, including ML, are in the market for ultra-large ships at the moment, with further orders expected to be placed in 2015 for 2017-2018 delivery.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 11:21:56 AM »
That's true Jan. I should have worded it a little differently. As I understand it, Maersk are looking to order later in 2015. It looks like the MOL orders are going to go ahead soon.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 09:35:09 PM »
I spoke in 2002? - 2003 with a Maersk engineer in Puerto Limon, Costa Rica,  He inspected our ship then named Maersk Rio Haina for further chartering,
we went for dinner and another and then we suddenly talked about big container ships of the future and he mentioned that MAERSK has drawings ready in the drawers for 22000 TEU ships

and HERE THEY ARE !!!

brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Ben Backstay

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 05:33:23 PM »
It may be that Maersk's triple E's capacity is calculated using 5 high on deck. If they load 8 high, that will increase their capacity by 3000 TEU to 21500. I somehow believe this. When Emma Maersk arrived, her capacity was originally declared as 12500 TEU which was later increased to 15500. Unlike MSC who like to brag about the size of their ships, Maersk always keeps everyone guessing.

Offline spotti

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 08:23:51 PM »
Maersk has changed alot during the latest years. Much more open and direct in their communication. The PR-hype connected to the 3E - with a consumer-product-like press-show in London - changed the game. Not much more guessing these days, - I guess :-)
The original ML container ship capacity was based upon, as far as I remember, containers  of 14 tonnes, and not on empty container units like the competition used. So apparently ML decided at that time to follow the pack.  Niels

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 09:34:13 PM »
STX also had a 460m long, 60m beam design capable of loading 22,000 TEU on a 14.5m draft back in 2008, although at the time, they couldn't find a line willing to put up the dosh.

It'll be interesting to see when a line goes for a vessel longer than 400m, and when, rather than if, they'll go for a 24 or even 25 wide box plan.

The original 2008 STX press release is here:

http://www.stxons.com/service/eng/prcenter/ship_news/read.aspx?oidArticle=653&SearchField=..&SearchText=&nPageNo=7&nCategory=-1
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 03:18:06 AM »
Looking forward to see the first mega boxer breaking apart
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline spotti

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 08:05:13 AM »
Capt. Ted, - this comment of yours takes the first Price of the Most Weird Comments made on this site for a long time.
Niels

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 11:26:24 AM »
Ben, I'm sure that Maersk's Triple E's capacity is not calculated with only 5 containers high on deck - when Mary Maersk set the world record in terms of TEUs, she had containers stacked up to 10 high on deck.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 01:34:38 AM »
Spotti

do you honestly believe that this will not happen. ?
Remember the 70,s,,bigger and bigger tankers until they broke.
Of course people will argue that nowadays the technic of building and calculating is much more advanced.
Sure is,,but remember the ML Comfort,, also not really expected.

Offline spotti

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 08:25:21 AM »
Ted, - I don't believe anything at all in this connection. But surely I don't hope that it would happen to whatever kind of ship! And - honestly - I was very much surprised to see a sailor, and a captain, stating that he is "looking forward" to seeing a ship breaking apart.
Niels

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 03:33:57 PM »
Niels - I think that you are making a wrong assumption.  Don't forget that many members who speak good conversational or professional English do not always appreciate the nuances of idiomatic language.

I think it likely that our good captain used "looking forward" in the sense of "forsee" or "expect".  But sure, he will tell us if I am wrong!

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 03:52:59 PM »
@ David
that and also kind of sarcastic, and as the whole world seemingly exspects that such big ships are invincible to the elements (don,t want to go into qualities of crews/operators and so on)
History is full of "unsinkable or impossibles"  like Titanic / Bismark / big tankers in the 70,s / MOL Comfort and so on.
merry Christmas and a happy new year to all

brgds
capt ted

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk