Author Topic: Marseille  (Read 3838 times)

Offline PietB

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Marseille
« on: December 13, 2014, 10:19:49 PM »
Hullo All

Was thinking of a spring trip to Marseille. The main commercial port seems to be about 10 miles to the west of the city. Can anyone update me on good places for photography at either the old or new ports?
With thanks.
PietB

Offline St

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Les navires de l'estuaire
Re: Marseille
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 07:06:35 PM »
Hello

It is not an easy place to make photos regrettably.
The old harbor is accessible to everybody, it is a place very appreciated by the tourists, but you will see only some sailing there.
The commercial harbour extends to Port-Saint-Louis of the Rh
Other pictures on my website -> http://camembertaroulette.free.fr

Offline PietB

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 05:13:04 PM »
Dear Stephane

Many thanks for your helpful comments. Please don't worry about your English - it's much better than my French!
Thanks again.

Piet

Offline St

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Les navires de l'estuaire
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 02:55:04 PM »
You're welcome PietB

I hope you will be able to do nices photos.
Will be pleased to see them here. :)

Kind regards.
Stephane
Other pictures on my website -> http://camembertaroulette.free.fr

Offline Charles Mercier

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Marseille
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 02:18:42 PM »
Hi PietB,

My advice : choose another port for your holiday destination. Without any proper authorisation from the Port Authority, you wont be able to go ANYWHERE. I am lucky enough to have had authorisations in the past years since I work for maritime publications, but private individuals normally cannot get them.
If you still decide to go there, you will see that Marseille-Fos is a huge complex, very similar to Rotterdam/Europoort. Every dock is miles away from the other, so you usually end up the day with ridiculous mileage on your car (I did once 250 KM in one day) . A car is an ABSOLUTE MUST. And you also need a good petrol budget.
The traffic is another issue. Twenty years ago, the traditional port of Marseilles was very interesting, with a lot of conventional cargo vessels, old bulkers, some container vessels and typical Mediterranean roros and ferries and dodgy coasters. A very busy repair industry was also generating very interesting 'repair' traffic with large LNG vessels and super tankers coming to the port. All this is gone now. 90 per cent of the box traffic has gone to far away Fos (the container terminal lies 50 kms from the Marseilles docks !). Conventional cargo vessels have disappeared, most of the old roros have been scrapped and the ship repair business is NOTHING compared to what it was and mainly focuses on ferries and cruise vessels. This means that the traffic in the traditional docks of Marseilles has become very poor, except on week-ends where you may have up to 5-6 cruiseships in one day all arriving early in the morning and departing in the evening. And it is a big shame since you can take fabulous pictures from the port's 'Digue du Large' (the Marseilles breakwater).
Fos can be extremely frustrating since you keep shuttling between the various docks for only a few ships. And every time you have to go through the security checks to show yr authorisation from the port. A pain. The oil jetty which used to be accessible with a permit before the Sept 11 attacks is now completely closed even with a permit.
Ships going to the Fos Container Terminal may indeed be, in some cases, possible to photograph from the port jetty at Port St Louis du Rhone, but this depends on the size of the vessel, the orientation of the sun, the power of your lens. So not ideal really.

In short, I would recommend other ports. Have you tried Livorno ? A great place in the morning with free public access. Good and diversified shipping traffic. You can spend the afternoons visiting beautiful Tuscany !

Cheers
Charles

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk