Author Topic: MSC RITA  (Read 24586 times)

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
MSC RITA
« on: January 03, 2014, 11:13:06 PM »
MSC Rita is showing on the port of Felixstowe arrivals list as being due to arrive on 08.01.14 at 0100 hrs from Rotterdam, and yet also appears on the PLA arrivals list as due to arrive at London Gateway on 05.01.14 at 0530 hrs from Rotterdam.

Are both ports laying claim to the same arrival or is MSC Rita going to effect a voyage from London Gateway - Rotterdam - Felixstowe ?

MSC Rita is currently anchored near the Sunk.

Likewise, Northern Jaguar was recently showing on the Felixstowe arrivals list as being due, but actually appeared in Zeebrugge.

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: MSC RITA
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 08:57:14 AM »
Hi Derek,

I just noticed that the Maersk Seville which had also been showing as due Felixstowe has also transferred to London Gateway due 06.01.14.

Best wishes,

Alan

Offline Andrew McAlpine

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 08:58:23 AM »
Alan,

As Derek said this is probably due to weather delays and problems. MSC Rita & Maersk Saville are both showing due at LGW on 5th & 6th Jan. if the weather situation improves I guess they will revert back to Felixstowe. Diversions & rotation changes are common at times like this, & with LGW being more sheltered than Flx it's not surprising they will pick up some diversions.

Rgds
Andrew

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 01:15:29 PM »
what are they doing going to Gatwick ?

Allan

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 01:46:58 PM »
what are they doing going to Gatwick ?

Allan
Diverted from LHR as this is very busy!

Offline sandygates

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 03:15:05 PM »
I suppose she's too big for LCY, otherwise the Tilbury spotters would have been able to photograph her on the way upriver ;D

Offline palbertini

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 07:33:33 PM »
I wonder why Hutchison Ports -- owners of Felixstowe -- don't offer up their virtually unused terminal at Thamesport to the Felixstowe-bound vessels being held up at the Sunk because of weather-related issues.

I don't think that MSC Rita is too big for Thamesport to handle. Thamesport could certainly do with the business these days!

Offline Michael

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 07:47:35 PM »
Palbertini, it's nothing to do with what HPH  wants or promises, theses changes are instigated by the shipping lines and they will decide where they will berth or on occasion miss a call.

If I were MSC or Maersk I'd pick a port as close to the one I cannot get to and London Gateway fits the bill, I suspect they will be discharge only callings and as such most og the goods will be going to the midlands so it makes sense to pick a port North of the Thames and miss out London and it's traffic and shorten your truck fuel bill.

A lot of Europe has issues with bad weather and vessels are missing calls all over the place, Maersk have recently cancelled calls to Zeebrugge and Bremerhaven due to the holiday season and weather.

Quite a few ports in Europe are suffering the same and many have vessels moored off shore waiting for berthing slots like Felixstowe is.

Regarding wind, the predominant wind direction in the UK is SW, thus London Gateway is no more sheltered than Felixstowe, in fact it may be more exposed due to the expanse of the Thames and low lying North Kent terrain. Parts of Felixstowe are often sheltered by the Shotley peninsular, but berths 6 and down and 8&9 on FSR get hit by wind that comes directly down the river from Manningtree. It must also be remembered that the wind is measured at crane height and that's often higher than any surrounding terrain, so there is effectively no shelter at all anywhere when your 150 feet high. Generally speaking London Gateway stops for wind about as much as Felixstowe, though the propaganda war would have everyone believe otherwise.

Rumours of London Gateway working at higher speeds is probably false, the wind agreement is bound by local employment rules but is also governed by structural safety, if a cranes safe working limit is 45mph then to work above that would negate their insurance.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 11:13:59 PM by Michael »

Offline Michael

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 11:45:33 PM »
Derek, your welcome.

The war of words is already starting as to who is best and for this and that reason, both Ports have good and not so good points. London Gateway (LG) isn't physically in the best location, Felixstowe (PoF) is much better located geographically, despite what the hype says, however LG has an automated stack, that's a technology leap over Felixstowe, but automated stacks are slow and quiet inflexible, you cannot beat driver driven cranes for speed and flexibility. On the other hand automation has no staffing costs and they don't take tea breaks so you can offer shipping a cheaper box rate due to your lower overheads.It will be interesting to see how LG copes as opposed to PoF high density RTG operation and Southamptons low density straddle operation.

One other factor that people seem to forget is Thamesport, whilst it's virtually withered away, it wasn't like that initially, initially it was going to take all of Tilburys traffic, it never did, they had capacity to take a lot but shipping lines do seem shy of the Thames and the extended transit times. Thamesport was also poorly located for inland operations as the majority of boxes head for the Midlands. Thamesport also had automated stacking and even cheaper box rates, but it did not attract further shipping lines after the honeymoon rush. I think LG may well do better, but they will have to work very hard at it and if they do succeed then all good and well to them as they will have earned it and not had it gifted to them.

To be fair by the end of 2015 if predicted box rates are correct, there will be more than enough work for both Ports and by 2020 we will have a large shortfall in the whole of the UK, even after you take into account Southampton, Liverpool, Felixstowe and London Gateways current expansion plans.

Felixstowe will loose some services, it is inevitable, to think otherwise would be naive, they may even gain some, but it'll take 18 moths to all shake out and quite frankly competition is generally good, it keeps people honest and on their toes and drives innovation and technology.

Ironically, MSC Rita is already at the Sunk and has been all day and will be until called for berthing tomorrow at LG, so they haven't really saved much at all, the vessels has still had to moor at the Sunk for nearly two days to get a berth once MOL Caledon sails, what the shuffle has allowed is following MSC vessels to remain on target for their rotation.

Both Ports are also going to suffer from Sunday night onward and through most of Monday with high winds if the predicted weather fronts materialize, so poor MSC Rita isn't going to save much of her rotation by swapping ports, it's all just one big weather mess right now.

Offline Propslip

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 08:48:09 AM »
MSC Rita just passed Southend 0830 inward bound for LG. She was preceded by Tugs Svitzer Ramsey & Svitzer Victory.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 08:51:12 AM by Propslip »

Offline DAVE NINNIM

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 09:25:03 PM »
I think there is more to it than just how much wind the cranes can work. I understand Felixstowe is up to 36 knots and LGW is 40 knots.
It is also down to the Pilot Launch, at the NE spit we tend to keep operating through stronger weather than they do up at the Sunk. The Maersk Seville is due to take a Pilot at 2330 tonight from the NE Spit. This was planned yesterday as the Port and agent expected the Sunk pilot station to be off service tonight due to weather. We have even shipped Felixstowe pilots before but this doesn't tend to happen too often because of the time constraints of their travel down to Ramsgate. We have always offered to serve the LGW ships at the NE spit and send them 'around the top' but I think we need to wait until they have a steadier flow of traffic to see if this will become then norm. 

Offline Ben Backstay

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 11:40:00 PM »
We have even shipped Felixstowe pilots before but this doesn't tend to happen too often because of the time constraints of their travel down to Ramsgate.
When the Sunk is off station, Harwich pilots have boarded a few times at the NE Spit, but usually they board and land at Dover if they are still working. From Harwich, it is 2 1/2 hours taxi to Dover, then approx 15 mins on the pilot boat if the ship is waiting, then it's around 4 hours steaming to get to the Sunk pilot diamond where the Harwich pilot then takes over.

Offline Michael

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 08:36:18 AM »
Felixstowes wind agreement is 40knts, I have no idea what LG is, it'll be the same if not close, I'd be staggered if it were more than 50mph (43knts), good as new cranes are, it's the box on the end that's the problem and they have cranes the same height as Felixstowes newest.
Your ok in the lee of the vessel on the quay from a SWesterly but, the minute you clear the deck boxes all hell breaks loose, and to make matters worse the wind swirls and rips though the gaps in the deck stack making the box helicopter (rotate) and that's very difficult to stop without hitting something else. When the box helicopters you then run the risk of a rope comming off a sheeve as they are not designed to take that sort of loading, if that happens your in a world of hurt. If their cranes are fitted with the same staff lifts as ours then those would probably be limited to 40knts.

In reality when you get upto these sorts of speeds it's a matter of minutes between 40 and 43knts, which makes claims that they can work at higher speeds a bit suprising, perhaps they can, but in reality they're not gaining much over the competition.

I've been caught up a crane at 50mph and it's not pleasent. I wish them well if they're working at those sorts of speeds.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 12:10:38 PM by Michael »

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 09:33:14 AM »
Quite surprised to find myself posting again here, but seriously surprised also to see that no-one has so-far mentioned an interesting and important fact about MSC Rita's outbound journey from Gateway.

Instead to making the diversion up to Sunk, she popped out of the Thames via the Princes Channel, dredged to 8m below chart datum, dropped her pilot at NE Spit, and cruised off towards her next call.

This doesn't destroy PoF's arguement about additional steaming distances to Gateway, but clearly shows that if Rita can do it safely and happily on a suitable tide (a 90,000 GT vessel showing a 9m draft) then other large vessels will do the same. Inbound voyages where the vessel is making a UK call before making another European call will result in less distance steamed . . . interesting times ahead, I think.
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

Offline alanp

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 06:46:04 PM »
She did not collect her full cargo load, i had several container due to load on her which are now being sent by feeder to Antwerp.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 07:07:26 PM by alanp »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk