Author Topic: Container vessel MOL COMFORT broke in two and sank off India  (Read 144317 times)

Offline PHa

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Container vessel MOL COMFORT broke in two and sank off India
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 03:20:17 PM »
Mitsui O.S.K. Lines, Ltd. : Update:
Incident Involving the Containership MOL Comfort
06/18/2013| 05:18am US/Eastern

TOKYO-Mitsui O.S.K. Lines, Ltd. (MOL; President: Koichi Muto) reports that the containership MOL Comfort could not continue sailing under its own power because the hull suffered a crack amidships while under way on the Indian Ocean. The vessel was fractured in two parts, fore and aft.

At about noon JST on Tuesday, June 18 (07:00 local time), the fore part of the hull is drifting around 13'00"N 60'40"E, and the aft part is about 19 miles southwest from that point. At present, both parts of the ship are laden with containers and drifting in an east-northeast direction. We are also arranging tugboats to tow both parts.

There are no indications as yet of a major oil leak near the site.

Details of onboard containers of the MOL Comfortthat might be lost overboard or damaged during the incident are being confirmed.

Source: Mitsui O.S.K. Lines 06/18/2013| 05:18am US/Eastern
Regards Peter
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:24:11 PM by Peter Hartung »

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 03:39:42 PM »
(Funny how when there's an accident with some ship, some people delete their old photos of that ship & reupload them as the latest to get more hits)
Regards,
Denis

Offline lars henriksen

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 04:46:47 PM »
http://maritimedanmark.dk/?Id=19367

Latest news.. I will try to translate..

The Japanese-owned container ship MOL Comfort may not be sunk. The ship's owner, Mitsui OSK Lines, said it has sent two tugs to the position where the two parts of the ship is believed to be.

According to several sources, the two parts of the ship now 17 nautical miles apart, but these and all other information remains uncertain.

Also reports of oil spills vary widely. From Zero discharge to a large spill.

The only thing all sources agree on is that the ship's 26-man crew has escaped from the accident with their lives, and now find themselves on board the ships that sailed the ill-fated ship to the rescue Monday morning.

We continue to follow the case.

Offline SteKrueBe

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 10:32:05 PM »
(Funny how when there's an accident with some ship, some people delete their old photos of that ship & reupload them as the latest to get more hits)

Jepp, you're right! It's even funnier that the most viewed picture at present isn't uploaded under the proper name. Nothing against a bit of vanity, but that's simply a cheap trick to get more clicks.

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 12:39:37 AM »
I understand the vultures.

As soon as I got the news of the accident, immediately two issues sprang to my mind:

First: was it "our" ship? Did I have anything to do with hull survey of the vessel? (No, it was NK classed. Pheeeew!)

Second: do I have any pictures I can upload to Shipspotting? (No. Dayum! But I have pics of the vessel that saved the crew, Yantian Express! However, after a while the fever from vulture-bug bite subsided, and I let it go.)

Mind you, I allow myself this post only after knowing that the crew is safe.

There is a new piece of information (for me) regarding the structure of the vessel, and the use of ultra-high tensile steel in its construction. It should be one of the main areas of investigation after salvaging the vessel.

Offline PHa

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 05:05:46 AM »
lappino wrote:

"There is a new piece of information (for me) regarding the structure of the vessel, and the use of ultra-high tensile steel in its construction. It should be one of the main areas of investigation after salvaging the vessel."

Pls read: YP47 - Ensuring the safety of ultra large containerships - The development of YP47 high strength steel and methods for arresting brittle cracks in ClassNK Magazine 2008, Vol. 60, pages 6-9.

Download-Link: http://www.classnk.or.jp/hp/pdf/publications/Publications_image/classnk_magazine_no60.pdf

Regards Peter

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 06:11:37 AM »
Thanks, Peter, excellent read!

/Sensationalistic journalism mode ON./

Wow.

I am scared now.

MOL Comfort was completed on July 14, 2008.

Class NK magazine states that "Since February 2007, ClassNK has been conducting a research and development project aimed at developing technical requirements and design methodologies for arresting brittle cracks in the thick steel plates used in ultra large containerships. (...) Research is slated to conclude at the end of 2008."

MOL Comfort was a lab rat.

Built using new technologies, and rushed into service before the relevant research was finished.

Wow.

/Sensationalistic journalism mode OFF./

There are more to brittle cracks than the yield strength of steel, and possible starting points of cracks can never be eliminated due to impossibility of 100% checks of final workmanship.

I have seen enough forged NDT (non destructive testing: ultrasonic, magnetic particle, liquid penetrant...) reports, and NDT checks that were unable to find flaws that were clearly there.

Welding procedures for hull welding, once developed and approved (sometimes after double digit numbers of failed attempts) are followed only by NDT, and questioned only if something catastrophic happens.

Verification of mechanical properties of welded joints of ultra-high tensile steels actually made on board of this series of vessels should definitely be one of items to be checked.

Offline PHa

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 06:40:30 AM »
@ lappino: Thanks for your conclusion which I share with you. The initial hint came from a link to the Class NK magazine report in a (german) wikipedia-article: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOL_Comfort

There have been six units built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Nagasaki, in 2007 and 2008. Maybe the remaining six boxships are in same danger splitting into two (or more) parts.

Regards Peter
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 11:45:47 AM by Peter Hartung »

Offline PHa

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 07:07:08 AM »
Japanese insurance sources reporting as follows:

Japanese insurance giant Mitsui Sumitomo is the lead carrier for the 7.9bn yen ($83mn) 8,000 TEU containership MOL Comfort, which broke in two and sank in the Arabian Sea yesterday (17 June), The Insurance Insider understands.

Marine sources suggest that Mitsui writes a 77 percent line on the Willis-brokered Mitsui O.S.K. Lines (MOL) hull and machinery programme, followed by Tokio Marine with 20 percent and Sompo with a 3 percent line.

(Source: The Insurance Insider).

Note: As per latest informations, both parts of the boxship are still floating.

Regards Peter

Offline PHa

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 07:20:16 AM »
MOL Press Release, dated 19th of June, 2013:

Update (No.3): Incident Involving the Containership MOL Comfort

TOKYO-Mitsui O.S.K. Lines, Ltd. (MOL; President: Koichi Muto) reports that the containership MOL Comfort could not continue sailing under its own power because the hull fractured in two parts while under way on the Indian Ocean. At about 10:00 JST (05:00 local time) on June 19, 2013, two parts, fore and aft, laden with containers are drifting at about 2 knots near 12'57"N 61'10"E (the aft) (the central part of the Indian Ocean) in an east-northeast direction.

Today, we arranged a patrol boat which has already departed from Port of Jebel Ali, U.A.E. to monitor the state of the vessel and the cargo and for the preparation of tow operations. The boat is expected to arrive at the ocean site on 23rd if it goes smoothly. In parallel, we are arranging tugboats to tow the MOL Comfort.

In addition, we have started investigating the cause of the incident jointly with the vessel's shipbuilder, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd.

In the afternoon yesterday (JST), according to a report from our-operated vessel, which passed nearby the site, the MOL Comfort was stably floating even under adverse weather. It has not been acknowledged that fire has occurred nor a large volume of oil has leaked. All crew members were safely rescued when the incident occurred.

Source: http://www.mol.co.jp/en/index.html
###

Regards Peter
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:22:31 AM by Peter Hartung »

Offline SteKrueBe

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 09:08:09 AM »
@ lappino: Thanks for your conclusion which I share with you. The initial hint came from Frank Behling, a german shipping journalist. He stated the link to the Class NK magazine report in his (german) wikipedia-article: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOL_Comfort

There have been six units built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Nagasaki, in 2007 and 2008. Maybe the remaining six boxships are in same danger splitting into two (or more) parts.

Regards Peter

Hi Guys!
Just for the record - it wasn't Frank Behling, who wrote the german wikipedia article - i wrote it (including the info regarding the the use of YP47-steel).

Offline lars henriksen

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 10:19:29 AM »
This is from the Danish site Maritime Danmark.. "The Japanese shipping company Mitsui OSK Line announced today that it has initiated a collaboration with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) to find out why the container ship MOL Comfort broke into two parts in the Indian Ocean on Monday.

"Yesterday afternoon, passed a ship we operate over near the site. It reported that MOL Comfort is stable liquid even under adverse weather conditions. It has been reported that the fire has occurred or that a large quantity of oil is leaked, "writes MOL.

The ship builder must determine how the 8,110 TEU ship (built in 2008) developed so disastrous a crack amidships in the hull in what was described as "bad" weather off Yemen.

MOL also says that there is ensured that a patrol boat is coming from Jebel Ali in the United Arab Emirates to monitor the two separate parts of the ship and which operates at a speed of two knots in the central part of the Indian Ocean in an east-northeasterly direction.

This vessel is expected to arrive in the area on 23 June and will be in addition to monitoring the ship also prepare the two parts of towing. Two tugs are also coming out against MOL Comfort.

Source: Tradewinds"

Offline PHa

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 11:43:47 AM »

Hi Guys!
Just for the record - it wasn't Frank Behling, who wrote the german wikipedia article - i wrote it (including the info regarding the the use of YP47-steel).

Thanks for clarification, my fault, sorry for mistake & inconvenience. Post (see above) has been corrected.
Regards Peter
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 12:07:52 PM by Peter Hartung »

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 01:54:38 PM »
@ Denis & Stefan

yep,,full power KLICK-KLICK-Klick,, I really can,t imagine how stupid one must be to do that ,,re post for KLICKS,, what poor lives they must live ?

and....  I that would be an airliner fall down,,the planes would be grounded, Never
will happen in shipping !!!
The thing about the steel is intersting. One wonders if that has a role in it or is the sole role and did other yards use something similar or same.
Personally I believe we see only the beginning of more problems with such ships. Of course, always ,sonething different is done (bigger and  bigger ships) something will happen,,sooner or later. MSC Nicole and now MOL Comfort,, same size ships. Lets see when the next bigger ones breaking apart,, hopefully not,,but I am afraid my hope is in vain

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline PHa

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2013, 06:26:35 AM »
Update (No.4): Incident Involving the Containership MOL Comfort

TOKYO-Mitsui O.S.K. Lines, Ltd. (MOL; President: Koichi Muto) updates the status of the containership MOL Comfort as of 23:00 JST (18:00 Dubai time) on June 19, 2013. The vessel could not continue sailing under its own power from June 17 because the hull fractured in 2 parts while under way on the Indian Ocean,

Vessel:
The aft part is drifting near 13'00"N 61'29"E in an east-northeast direction. The status of the fore part is to be confirmed while the visibility is limited due to adverse weather. The patrol boat which has departed Port of Jebel Ali, U.A.E. on June 19, as mentioned in the Update (No.3), is expected to arrive at the ocean site on June 24.

Containers
Some of the containers might be lost or damaged during the incident, but majority of the cargo are confirmed to be aboard the aft part. The status of the fore part is to be confirmed.

Rescue of the cargo and hulls
We have contracted with a salvage company and are proceeding to rescue the cargo and hulls.

Oil leakage
We confirmed no large volume of oil leakage.

###

Regards Peter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk