Author Topic: COPYRIGHT  (Read 36568 times)

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: COPYRIGHT
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 10:10:33 PM »
I wonder if someone with sufficient seniority in Shipspotting can appraoch Facebook and have this group eliminated altogether. Trouble is if a member wishes to approach them through Facebook, one'd have to sign up ....and that's the last thing I'd do !

:-X

Offline Ian Boyle

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Simplon Postcards
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 04:19:34 PM »
The problem with the Lovers of the Ocean Liners facebook group is that admin Carl Ireton (not necessarily his real name) is posting stolen images and implying they are his by crediting them to 'My Personal Collection'. Having been notified that some of my images were on there I joined the group. He removed some images that I found after I pointed them out but then he kicked me out of the group so I cannot look for any more.

Offline smithy166

• Oceangoing OOW (STCW II/1)
  • Quite a regular
  • In a hole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 05:08:32 PM »
This might be useful, as you can report the breach without a account (as far as I'm aware). Unfortunatly I can't report the images myself as I'm A - not a member of the group (Although if requested, I have no problem with joining the group and trawling through every photo to provide a link) and B - I'm a "minor" in the eyes of facebook (17y/o).

Hope that helps,
Dan

https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/?id=473738729306832
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 05:34:53 PM by smithy166 »
Enough torque to restart a dead planet! OOW with an unlimited CoC looking for work. :)

Offline Trev

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 05:17:23 PM »
Hi Ian,

Did he give you a reason for kicking you out of the group? If he ever admitted to using your photos without your consent, you have him my the do dahs!!

Copyright is theft and I know from experience that the courts are on our (the photographers) side in these matters, clearly it is up to you if you choose to go down the legal route, usually just the threat of legal action is enough for those in the wrong to sort themselfs out.

Trev

Offline Ian Boyle

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Simplon Postcards
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 10:02:40 PM »
I received not rsponse at all - he just deleted the images from his page. Will leave it at that for now but will check there is nothing else on the site.

Offline Jean Hemond

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jeanhemond.com/
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 02:39:44 AM »
 Another one but big Newspaper. I didn't thought it might be published for the low relative quality.  That is why I posted with the small watermark. But there is no stop from information  fast-food. They only cropped the watermark no credits !
I called  tonight on them to pay for the picture!

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/wtc_antenna_on_high_seas_9WlyGb33pjiyQSWcDasqbN

The situation is on the way to be resolved to my satisfaction with the Port Authority of Ny NJ
I believe we should all passionate photographers unite in a "coop" to to the job of bounty hunters for copyrights and first placard and  sue commercial concerns using our photos with out permission.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:01:26 PM by Jean Hemond »

Offline Sinisa Aljinovic

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2012, 08:46:17 AM »
It is really hard to get rid of those invaders these days,unfortunatelly.So easy to steal but very hard to protect it.
Look what they say in the last sentence of article....."The Port Authority has created a tracking Web site to follow the barge

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 12:50:37 PM »
There is a group on Facebook calling itself 'Lovers of Ocean Liners'.  Have a look around that site and you will see hundreds of images 'borrowed' from Shipspotting.com, including some of my own.  In all cases no credit is given to the photographer, or this site.  

One of the chief contributors of 'borrowed' photos is an administrator there called Kipfer Fox.  He and others on that site seem to feel that this practice is quite acceptable.  I don't think so.

That ocean liner site (and a couple of others which are allied; the bloke responsible is a notorious offender) is a blooming nightmare for stealing photos. I found one of mine on one of them. I realise that posting photos onto the net is fraught with peril, but I don't mind people using my photos, as long as they ask me first and credit the photo.

Offline Jean Hemond

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jeanhemond.com/
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 02:28:56 PM »
What to do for copyright infringements. This is french for Quebec Canada But it is down to the point. And practical. Done by a pro for  people like us thorn  between passion and commerce . Use the translator. There are no justifications for corporations to abuse our rights.

http://www.francisvachon.com/blog/category/copyright/

Offline andrewm

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2013, 09:24:32 PM »
Would it be possible to prevent users from clicking on a photo with the right button on their mouse and thus saving or copying a photo that way.  I've no idea about the technical side of this so I don't know how effective this would be at stopping the more determinded poachers of photos.

I have seen this on the official Formula 1 website where if a user right clicks a message pops up stating that content is copyrighted and there is to be no reproduction without the owners consent.

Regarding the Facebook page, I found a link via Google and another site and it would appear that Lovers of Ocean Liners page cannot be found.

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2013, 10:13:43 PM »
Hi andrewm,

possible, yes, but it doesn't make sense because you can easily get around a disabled right-click...

Offline andrewm

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 12:33:36 AM »
I guess if right-click was disabled it would still be possibleto do a screenshot and then cropping the image.

There is a picture of a Safmarine vessel entering Aberdeen Harbour on Rulewave's homepage that looks very similar to a photo of Safmarine Akwaba that I have uploaded here.  It's quite small so it's difficult to be certain.  The photo on their homepage could have been copied, cropped and the contrast changed slightly (something I can do easily with the software that came with my camera) or it could just have been taken at the same time as mine from a very similar angle.  It's very difficult to say with any certainty.

I'm not sure if I should feel honoured, outraged or indifferent! :D

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 08:06:42 PM »
The 'Lovers of the Ocean Liners' page is still there. It's a closed group, closed presumably so no outsiders can see their stolen photos.  ::)

Disabling right click does deter people a bit although, as you say, a determined thief will just get round it by taking a screen shot or viewing the source (I think there are keyboard short cuts to do that if eight click is disabled).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk