Author Topic: Date Captured vs Date Added  (Read 14978 times)

Offline Oldkayaker

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Biking Benicia
Date Captured vs Date Added
« on: February 14, 2013, 10:26:55 PM »
Hi

:( Admin or webmaster should clear up the confusion created by the photo presentation information which shows Date Captured vs Date Added as different dates and most times the captured date is in disagreement with the date the photograph was actually captured or taken. ::)

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Date Captured vs Date Added
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 10:55:06 PM »
I can't see any reason for confusion.....date captured is the date the photo was taken, date added is the date the photo is uploaded to the site.  Simples.  Not exactly rocket science.

Allan

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 08:18:27 AM »
Hello, there is no confusion at all !  :)

Date captured is the date, when you took the photo. The other date is that one, when you upload the photo here.

It makes good sense to differ between these two dates, because very unlikely one does upload a photo here, the same day it is taken. It can be done, of course  :D but seldom and especially with the many older photos uploaded here.

Offline Oldkayaker

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Biking Benicia
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 05:50:28 PM »
On my photos, the date stamp is the date the photo was taken or captured; however, in many instances as shown by the following: http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1743103
the Captured .....date.... is clearly incorrect!

Offline Oldkayaker

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Biking Benicia
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 06:11:52 PM »
Hello, there is no confusion at all !  :)

Date captured is the date, when you took the photo. The other date is that one, when you upload the photo here.

It makes good sense to differ between these two dates, because very unlikely one does upload a photo here, the same day it is taken. It can be done, of course  :D but seldom and especially with the many older photos uploaded here.

Actually, no!  The date shown in the presentation is almost never the date my photos are taken.

Offline Kyle Stubbs

• Top Poster
  • Something something Danger Zone.
    • View Profile
    • Puget Ships
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 06:28:10 PM »
I too have encountered this problem. The only solution I can recommend is what I do, simply select that day after the date the photo was taken, then it will display correctly. Even for photos taken on, say January 31st, selecting February 1st displays the last day of January for me.

If no other members are encountering this issue, perhaps it has something to do with being in the US Pacific Time Zone. Since Oldkayaker in the Bay Area and I in Seattle both encounter this, perhaps something in the site's clock is off in regards to the time zone conversion.

Regards,
Kyle
"Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often." -Mark Twain

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 07:17:20 PM »
I am not sure whether I am uploading a different way than you do. Here: http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1744157

You can see the photo added, and you can not mistake it with the date taken as I write it into the description.

Clydee

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 08:21:42 PM »
Perhaps Henrik could clarify. I have always presumed that the date uploaded was derived from the location of the site servers and the date captured was as entered by the member

For example if I promptly uploaded a shot taken in Sydney the time could be
Sydney  Australia - New South Wales  Sat 7:18 AM *

While if the servers are in Europe the upload time could be the same as
Rotterdam  Netherlands Fri 9:18 PM

Offline Oldkayaker

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Biking Benicia
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 10:21:20 PM »
It appears to be necessary that all my future ship photo posting descriptions contain the following comments: "...photographed, captured and added on [date] correcting any incorrect information shown above..."  at least until the program behind the Date captured function can be corrected to show the actual true date a photographer took the relevant photo. ::)

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 10:23:14 PM by Oldkayaker »

Offline Lars Brunkman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 11:35:23 PM »
Hi Oldkayaker,

To the best of my knowledge there is no program behind the Date captured function. It's a fairly simple script that lets you pick year and month from drop down lists and then you pick the day from the calender below.

I have taken a look at the example you posted above, and couldn't find anything wrong with it. It shows as follows:

Date captured: February 11, 2013
Time stamp on photo: 02-11-2013 (i.e February 11, 2013)
Date added: February 11, 2013

I fail to see where the problem is.

Kind regards
Lars
Lars

Offline Oldkayaker

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Biking Benicia
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 10:03:53 PM »
Lars

The drop-down menu in my version of ShipSpotting.com has date function which, after entered by user, [me], presents as the Date added  NOT the Date captured.  Guess we are using different versions of the program.

There may be some truth to the comments above about where the server for ShipSpotting. com is actually located and that the time zone for that server my be deciding the dates presented which, if true, may be correctable with use of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) in the date menus.  But, that seems to be a programmer's problem, for now, my description comments will clarify any date errors presented.

Here is a site for Date Pickers. css that could be used: http://woork.blogspot.com/2009/01/beautiful-datepickers-and-calendars-for.html

Oldkayaker
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:16:18 PM by Oldkayaker »

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
Well done Ken. That surely should resolve it.

I don't understand why something so simple can cause so much confusion.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Henrik Soderberg

• Administrator
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 11:46:15 PM »
Hi all,

It's simple and tricky at the same time.

As already said - the captured is the date when the photo was taken, and the added is the time it was added to the site.

The is one thing I have to mention that could cause confusion. The added timestamp is SERVER time internally. If you are logged in, and have your timezone set, corrections are sometimes (not always, depending on application) made to dates and times through the whole site, so that it's converted to your local time.

The added could hence differ if you're logged in, or not.

The timezone "correction" exists in multiple layers (hardware, database, web server software, web script software, end user software/js, site specific funtions). Due to the many levels of timezones available, at times there are errors that are really tricky to both find and fix.

You can always use the "Contact" page and submit a bug report, should you find anything particular strange behaviour concerning dates and times.

The date picker says "Date of photo". It should be the time when the photo was captured. The time it was added to the site we already know without asking for it. The "adding" date is also what we sort on when showing "New photos". New photos are new for the website, but could be photos taken 30 years ago. It's still new to the site, if it hasn't been shown here before.

Regards,
Henrik

Clydee

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 12:34:16 AM »
Thank you Henrik for pointing out "The added timestamp is SERVER time internally. If you are logged in, and have your timezone set, corrections are sometimes (not always, depending on application) made to dates and times through the whole site, so that it's converted to your local time.

That's useful information when uploading at 8.00 am in Sydney Australia and it is 10.00 pm the day before in Europe.  At the same time it is 10.00 am in New Zealand.  The time zone difference varies with the coming and going of daylight saving.

Offline Oldkayaker

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Biking Benicia
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 10:36:22 PM »
I will try to resolve this once and for all.

In the "Date of Photo" Box you enter the date you took the photograph from the drop down Calender, that should then show in the uploaded photograph as Date Captured.

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/add_photo.php

If you do not know the date then tick the unknown box, you can of course also add the date in the Description Box.

I do not see where Time Zones come into it.

Regards
Ken

Ken

I know you are trying hard to make this problem go away by restating the same procedure for using the drop-down menu; but, as I have said before, in my version and settings for Ship Spotting.com, the date I enter into the drop-down menu does NOT come out on the final presentation as the correct Date Captured.

Thanks for trying to make this problem go away and may be someday it will.

Oldkayaker
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk