Author Topic: MV Athena  (Read 4058 times)

Offline Damien McCarthy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
MV Athena
« on: January 06, 2013, 04:54:44 PM »
Does anyone know who has posession of Mv Athena as Classic International have liquidated since December 20th 2012 and she is booked to visit Cobh Ireland on June 14th of this year.

Offline SteKrueBe

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: MV Athena
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 11:13:50 PM »
Albeit 'Athena' is still shown under possession of First Quality Cruises in Equasis, i would bet, that the respective tenant will be the bank behind First Quality Cruises/Classic International. The class of the ship is suspended and the bean counting bankers won't go together with such an old ship for something good i'm afraid. So a visit in Aliaga or Alang is way more likely than in Cobh. Well, the last years are generally a bloody mess for distinctive and historic vessels.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:47:09 AM by SteKrueBe »

Offline Kai R

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 09:55:31 AM »
Athena has been modified and  modernised to such a large extent that she is technically a much newer ship. I don

Offline geraldtonss

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 11:04:43 AM »
Here is a photo of the Athena when it visited Geraldton in 2008 :

http://shipsaustralia.net/index.php/Cruise-Liners/Athena

Cheers
David

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 12:15:44 PM »
That's a lovely photo of her. Whilst I have to agree that way back as Stockholm she was a lovely and truly a 'yacht-like' vessel she is now very distinctive-looking. It would be very disappointing to see her scrapped, as has been pointed out, she is in many respects a largely 'new' vessel. Everything inside was stripped away during her rebuild and whilst in parts she is a bit glitzy (a reflection of the tastes at the time of the rebuild)only the very highest quality materials were used - solid brass rather than thin metal coated in shiny finish, specially commissioned Murano glass light fixtures etc. No expense was spared, she was really just a 'make work' project for the ship yard. However, she has gone on to become very successful for various operators. I took a five-week long cruise on her in 2007 and it was one of the most enjoyable cruise experiences. The main thing that may condemn her to the breakers yards is the fact that by today's standards she is a very small ship and may not be seen as being economic, the same can be said of her fleet mates Princesses Daphne and Danae.
I hope these ships will sail again but I'm not holding my breath.

Offline Damien McCarthy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 08:27:28 PM »
I did reconise even do she is 64 she was rebuilt hull up in 1994 and updated enough to last a while.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk