Author Topic: P&O maybe interested in a Canadian ferry route  (Read 4618 times)

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
P&O maybe interested in a Canadian ferry route
« on: September 08, 2012, 02:21:44 AM »
Courtesy of The Halifax Chronicle Herald.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/133728-european-ferry-operator-eyeing-yarmouth-routes

This all came out after a report was released today about the chances of re-establishing a ferry route between Yarmouth, Nova Scotia,Canada and the United states check it out here.

Courtesy of Nova News Now..

http://www.novanewsnow.com/section/2012-09-07/article-3069740/Panel-releases-conclusions-on-ferry-service/1
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 02:31:18 AM by Jarrod David »
[color=0066FF]Jarrod David[/color][/b]

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: P&O maybe interested in a Canadian ferry route
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 09:30:16 PM »
Do any members from the area know if this route could be viable? It would certainly be an odd move for P&O as they are generally considered to be a rather conservative company.

Kind regards
Cedric
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Willy1949

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 01:01:29 AM »
The key element in the recently released report is that for the ferry to be viable it has to offer something more than simple ferry services. The view was that a successful ferry/cruise combination might be viable but over a fairly long period of time (like 20+ years).

I'm not sure what P&O could bring to the table in this regard but I'm sure they've got some bright people working on it. Personally, I don't see it happening. Its too short a crossing for much of a cruise add-on such as CTMA does so well in their marvelous trip to the Maggies. And anyone who wants to look at what Georges Bank can produce in terms of horrible sea conditions is welcome to it.   

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 07:21:21 AM »
It would certainly be strange to start a route that doesn't have too much potential for profit so far from their usual market, in a territory and with customers they don't really know. They do operate ships year round in the North Sea between the UK and the continent but I don't think the Atlantic can be compared to the North Sea.

The route also seems rather short for a cruise ferry service as you say, plus the fact that they don't have any ships available for it. That is of course unless they decide to close one of their North Sea routes in their upcoming business review, but the only route to be possibly closed is the Zeebrugge - Hull route which is served by two 25-year old ships, not really attractive ships to start a new route I think.

Kind regards
Cedric
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Offline Blakoren

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 08:25:18 AM »
its a bit shocking story to know that the route that was banned many years ago is again going to restarted as this route is not profitable and no one wants to sail on thius route as there is also threat of robbers on this route its bit hard to understand the reason behind starting this route

Offline Michael Martin

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 05:16:09 PM »
Robbers? On a ferry between Yarmouth, NS and Bar Harbour, Maine? I think you are confusing this route with I don't know where. Certainly not Canada and Northern US. There are quite a few tourists who might like to take the ferry instead of the long trip through Northern Maine and New Brunswick. Maybe not enough to make it viable though....but robbers? Wrong part of the planet, bub.

Offline Stefan Niederer

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 08:26:55 PM »
Hi everyone,

I took this route as a tourist back in 2007 on the way up north to Labrador.
Pictures here: http://sniederer.k-i-s.ch/2007.06/pages/image197.html
I hope they bring back the route somehow, because it saved us quite some driving.

I'm sure it is a dificult route but maybe they cancombine the route from Digby to Saint John and the Yarmouth - Bar Harbour run with one High Speed Vessel. I could imagine, with a good timetable, it could be provitable. (Maybe include Boston - Yarmouth...)

We'll see... ;-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk