Author Topic: Shipspotting in Europe  (Read 18918 times)

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
Shipspotting in Europe
« on: July 23, 2012, 02:34:25 PM »
Recently returned from my annual continental ship photography tour. This time, however, it included a trip on the "Cap San Diego" from Hamburg to Cuxhaven on Jun 22nd. What a nostalgic trip down memory lane especially as the main engines (MAN K9Z 780/1400)were the same as I spent a lot of my sea-time on. I will not list all the ships but just give a rough itinerary which may help others.
Dover-Dunkirk DFDS (Cheapest way across) Drove to Terneuzen overnight at Hotel Tollenique (Highly recommended although not quite on river bank) Drove to Doel where you can get good shots of the river container berths. Various ships on West Bank docks then all the Antwerp docks and on to Vlissingen. Stayed at Hotel Restaurant Solskin (again highly recommended especially for food and view from bedroom of Schelde estuary) 3rd night at Gestrand @ Hoek van Holland. (again views of shipping from bedroom) Then to Hamburg for 2 nights at Motel One Hamburg am Michel (walking distance to Uberseebrucke) Then to Nord-Ostsee-Kanal via Travemunde & Kiel. Stayed at the AHOI at Breiholz (just off the canal bank but good room and great food) Back to Rotterdam or rather Europort staying at t'Wapen van Marion in Oostvoorne. A lot of driving and when I go again in September, I will stay a bit longer at each. 252 ships photographed (Some good shots, some not so good due to poorlight/weather. Sorry it was more of a travelogue but if you go, you have to stay somewhere and thanks to the internet, most were good for purpose.

Offline PHa

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Shipspotting in Europe
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 06:14:58 AM »
Good Morning, Russell!

Reading your report with interest i like to send you a souvenir of you CSD-Trip to Cuxhaven. The photo enclosed shows the CSD arriving at Cuxhaven on 22nd of June. I am sure you will never forget this moment same as i do.

Regards Peter

Offline Tore Hettervik

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 06:42:42 AM »
Hello Russell,hope it was a good trip.
I am going on a ship spotting trip in September,down to Kiel kanal,Hamburg,Cuxhaven,Brunsbuttel,Rotterdam and if we got the time,i will drive down to Antwerpen.

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 08:07:53 AM »
Many thanks to Peter for very atmospheric shot of CSD entering Cuxhaven. As can be seen, we had just emerged from quite a cloudburst. As I was on board, I didn't get many full length shots. Thanks again

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 09:51:50 AM »
Hi Tore.
Going to Terneuzen 9 Sep then Vlissingen 10 Sep Rozenburg 11 & 12 and Bremerhaven 13th
Will be in Rendsburg 14 & 15 Sept then back to Rotterdam then home.

Be happy to buy you a beer if around

Offline Tore Hettervik

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 10:48:28 AM »
Hello Russell,we will be in Cuxhaven the 3 of september,then down to Rotterdam for 3 days,and if we got time,maybee a trip down to Antwerpen a day,then we will go up to Hamburg from the 7 of september,and the 10 we will go up to Brunsbuttel for the day and drive up to Rendsburg before we are going home agein.

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 05:45:12 AM »
Hello Russell,
The day I read your post, I was in Holland myself.
I have stayed at the hotel Tollenique in the past and the Hampshire but these days I tend to stay in Hulst at the Hotel Hulst. A small family run place it is ideally placed to go to Walsoorden first thing in the morning and later in the day when the sun is no longer so good at Terneuzen. A good hotel and a reasonable price at 60 Euros and they will make a packed lunch for you for 9 Euros.
Kelvin
PS The ferry was remarkable; From Dover to Dunkirk July was 12.50 (UK pounds) each way and on the 23rd July 19.00 quid. Not bad!

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 04:43:01 PM »
Recently returned from my annual continental ship photography tour. This time, however, it included a trip on the "Cap San Diego" from Hamburg to Cuxhaven on Jun 22nd. What a nostalgic trip down memory lane especially as the main engines (MAN K9Z 780/1400)were the same as I spent a lot of my sea-time on. I will not list all the ships but just give a rough itinerary which may help others.
Dover-Dunkirk DFDS (Cheapest way across) Drove to Terneuzen overnight at Hotel Tollenique (Highly recommended although not quite on river bank) Drove to Doel where you can get good shots of the river container berths. Various ships on West Bank docks then all the Antwerp docks and on to Vlissingen. Stayed at Hotel Restaurant Solskin (again highly recommended especially for food and view from bedroom of Schelde estuary) 3rd night at Gestrand @ Hoek van Holland. (again views of shipping from bedroom) Then to Hamburg for 2 nights at Motel One Hamburg am Michel (walking distance to Uberseebrucke) Then to Nord-Ostsee-Kanal via Travemunde & Kiel. Stayed at the AHOI at Breiholz (just off the canal bank but good room and great food) Back to Rotterdam or rather Europort staying at t'Wapen van Marion in Oostvoorne. A lot of driving and when I go again in September, I will stay a bit longer at each. 252 ships photographed (Some good shots, some not so good due to poorlight/weather. Sorry it was more of a travelogue but if you go, you have to stay somewhere and thanks to the internet, most were good for purpose.

Speaking for myself, I love reading travelogues.  :)

The last time I was at Terneuzen, Antwerp or Rotterdam was in 2005, it's high time I went back, although not likely this year. Are traffic levels, in terms of numbers of ships, down, bearing in mind the global economic situation?

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 04:41:57 AM »
Faith,
I don't know how the numbers compare to a few years ago but on my last 2 day trip 23/24 July, I "snapped" 47 ships on the first day and 43 on the second.
As I remarked to a fellow British spotter, more ships in one day than a year at Calshot!
Kelvin

Offline Robbie Shaw

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshaw.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 12:07:09 PM »
Looking for help please.  I am primarily an aviation photographer, but will be in Amsterdam for 3 days tomorrow, and would like to spend some time photographing ships in Rotterdam area - any hints / tips on where to you will be welcome.

Thanks

Robbie

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 01:08:06 PM »
If you have use of a car, Maasvlakte is an excellent spot as all incoming and departing ships must pass there. Most shots of shipping are to the north so light should not be a problem.
If a car is not possible, Hook of Holland is at the end of the rail line from Rotterdam and again all shipping has to pass there. However you are mainly facing south and some of the entrants to Europort and Maasvlakte are quite a way away. I understand there is a passenger ferry that will take you to Yangtzehaven but I have not tried it. 2 stops before Hook is Maasluis where there is ferry to Rozenburg with a cafe/bar on the South bank.

Good Luck and let me know if I can help any more.

Russ

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 02:19:23 PM »
Faith,
I don't know how the numbers compare to a few years ago but on my last 2 day trip 23/24 July, I "snapped" 47 ships on the first day and 43 on the second.
As I remarked to a fellow British spotter, more ships in one day than a year at Calshot!
Kelvin

Oh definitely, there are loads more at Continental ports than at Southampton. I was at Zeebrugge on 6th July and was impressed with how busy it was, unless I just got them on a good day  ;D. I remember a trip to Terneuzen in 2005, nothing but those little barges for the first hour. But then the ships appeared...and kept on coming.

Offline Robbie Shaw

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshaw.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 09:35:41 PM »
Many thanks Russell - will let you know how I got on.  Just loading on the website some of the many shots I took on a trip to St.Petersburg  last week.

Thanks,

Robbie

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 09:53:35 PM »
Hi Rusell,

The socalled "fast ferry" from Hook of Holland has stops at the North bank of the New Waterway at the Maeslantbarrier, then at the Rozenburg Landtong, both facing south. Next stop is at Europoort, facing North and finally the Yangtzeharbour at the Maasvlakte.
It is quite a distance from the Yangtzeharbour stop to Slag Maasmond from where you have the good view facing north towards Hook of Holland.
This will change again shortly when the entrance to the New Maasvlakte will be created. If the ferry's stop will not be moved, it'll be impossible to use the ferry to reach Slag Maasmond.
Suggest you keep an eye on updates at http://www.portofrotterdam.com
Good luck !

Robert.

Offline steelman08

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 07:53:37 AM »
Well gentlmen I have just joined this website. I put in the name of the ship(s) that
literally loads or unloads a quarter of a mile from me. I look out of my back window on the river Medway in Kent U.K. and saw the `SCOT RANGER`(Inverness) berth.
I have looked up this ship and see it go to Holland and Sweden too. In my ignorance I thought that the ship only plied between Rochester and Inverness. I was trying to find out
WHAT it carried as I see long type of boxes? being loaded or unloaded. I see the ship is classed as cargo. My ex wife thought that by inquiring, that would bring the security people
down on my head. Just inquisitive, thats me.                                                II dont take photographs myself,but this is an interesting site.
My name is Alfred,I am English and I am 85.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk