Author Topic: Naval Vessels  (Read 17572 times)

kensmith

Naval Vessels
« on: July 19, 2012, 03:52:04 PM »

I have noticed that some are still adding the Pennant Number in the box with a space for example D 33

This is being corrected when seen but it should be D33 if you wish your photograph to be included in a search, it has been requested in the guidelines that this should be done as a standard for Pennant Numbers so it is entirely up to you but those with a space will not be recognised in a search.

I appreciate that it may not appear on the ship as such or when researching but this has had to be done as I have said to have a standard format for search purposes on this website.

Kind regards
Ken
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 08:25:51 AM by Ken Smith »

Offline Chris Howell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Naval Vessels
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 08:48:06 PM »
Ken is totally right, virtually every day those intereseted in Naval vessels posting to the site do not keep to the format.

Ships Prefix eg HMS
Ships Name LEANDER
Ships PENDANT WITHOUT A BREAK COMMON IN MANY PUBLICATIONS F109 not F-109

So in title HMS LEANDER F109
In pendant box F109

and in some cases auxiliaries have an IMO number which should be added to link to other photos on the site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_prefix

Above is link to Naval Prefix's.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 10:44:16 PM by Chris Howell »
Notes on album
1. All postings are photography of Chris Howell except where stated taken from 1972 to date.
2. Photographs taken by others are credited as owned collection and photographers name where known and I own the copyright or the person mentioned in the text.

david_s

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 07:06:39 AM »
Thanks Chris for the very useful link

David

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 09:44:43 PM »
Even though members are gradually getting the hang of putting in pennant numbers in the correct format (and maybe moderators working hard at it too), I still don't understand why it is necessary to fill it in twice.  But, anyway, there is a more serious problem with the search which is now completely non-intuitive due the attempted imposition of national prefixes.  We are supposed to know the site's chosen national prefix in order to search for a ship.  A sort of list is at the foot of http://www.shipspotting.com/support/faq.php?category=Military ships but it is a strange one.  For example:

1- Brazil is given as "NE".  That's nonsense - the only navy ships using that are their training ships, for the simple reason that it stands for Navio Escola.
2- What language is "ARBV" for Venezuela? - it looks like a mixture of English and Spanish, and I cannot find any official use of it; the navy itself is "Armada Bolivariana de Venezuela" - ABV
3- Some are abbreviations for the navy itself, rather than a prefix for a ship
4- Some are equivalents in English, some are what the country concerned uses in its own language.
5- Some have multiple possibilities - eg Sweden
6- Possibly a few typos too - eg the apparent "I" in the "HNIMS" (Netherlands), perhaps it should be "L", though I don't understand why.

This hopeless for an intuitive search using the most important word that people start with - the ship's name. And non-member searchers would never find such a well-hidden list.

David
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 11:28:55 AM by davidships »

Offline WadeArmstrong

• Capt Wade Armstrong
  • Photo Corrections
  • Just popping in
  • Pearl Harbor Pilot (Retired)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 08:16:28 PM »
I am generally happy with the current protocol for naval vessels.  While I wish there were a way to easily link other photos of the same ship, the protocol is mostly effective.
Some prefixes, such as Japan's, have changed (from JDS to JS).  However, to ease the search function, I have continued to list them as JDS, even though that is no longer completely accurate.

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 08:14:20 AM »
Isn't this all a touch of "much ado about nothing".
Why not drop the national prefixes (HMS, USS etc)?
The crews' cap tallies may well say, for example, "HMS Dauntless", but the ships generally doesn't show this.
It seems to me naval ships usually show a name and number only.
There is no use of "HMS" or "USS" etc on the ship itself.
So why bother? All that is required really is name and number.

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 10:15:39 AM »
Hi Kelvin

You are absolutely correct, we don't normally put S.S. or M.V. or R.M.S in front of merchant vessels, so why bother with an ill defined multi-lingual (do we use English or the native language acronym ?) prefix for naval vessels.  Keep it simple, name and pennant number only required to define the ship.  But then again, the US navy do not add DD or DDG to the ships hulls, just their pennant numbers, so how do we deal with that?   Another opportunity to 'get it wrong'.

Allan

Offline sandygates

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 01:50:12 PM »
Removing the prefixes would make this section of the site so much more straightforward and user-friendly - especially for non-expert members (like me)

Offline BarrySmith

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 03:34:43 PM »
Sandygates; Hear Hear !

Offline Robbie

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 07:53:58 AM »
What is the point of adding the prefix when uploading naval vessels? I thought the plan was to have them like cargo vessels and have other images with the same pennant number appear at the bottom of the screen. I know i can enter the pennant number in the advanced search engine but why can't the naval vessels on this site be set up the same was as every vessel with a IMO number?

Regards Robbie

Offline Mad Scientist

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 07:23:04 PM »
A few days ago, I did a search for photos of my favourite warship, HMCS Terra Nova. I typed 'Terra Nova' into the Search box, and got photos of everything with 'Terra Nova' in the name. I suspect that this is a Search function default - sort of like *terra nova* in the old DOS system.
For David: NL is the 'official' two-letter designation for the Netherlands.
Tom

DanEarl

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 07:39:29 PM »
Tom,

If you use the Advanced Search facility then you can select what category for the name to be searched in.

Cheers, Dan.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 08:22:24 PM »
The ISO 3166 two letter code for the Netherlands is indeed NL (my preference is for the three-letter codes - NLD in this case).  But I don't think that these have any specific relevance to naval vessels.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk