Author Topic: Felixstowe Tug Radio Frequencies please.  (Read 15201 times)

Offline Tug Chaser

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Felixstowe Tug Radio Frequencies please.
« on: May 21, 2012, 03:22:41 PM »
Will someone please tell me the frequencies that the tugs use at Felixstowe.

Thank You

PS My last attempt at this has disappeared into the ether.

Offline Ben Backstay

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Felixstowe Tug Radio Frequencies please.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 04:04:41 PM »
Normally Ch12 but the secondary channel is Ch10 if 2 ships manoeuvering at the same time.

Offline Tug Chaser

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 04:10:44 PM »
Thank you.

Offline Tug Chaser

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 11:49:06 AM »
Had a really good & busy day at Felixstowe (Thursday) although the slight mistiness didn't help the photographs. Channels 9 & 12 gave me the tugs, pilots & port control but not the instructions to tugs from port control/Switzer. The tugs apparantly independently decided when & where to go other than when instructed by the pilots on Ch 12. I scanned/searched but there is clearly at least one frequency - possibly not in the marine band - that I am missing. Help please.

Channel 14 was a radar control channel for the surrounding waters.

CSL Uranus is one big shiny new ship!

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 07:41:32 PM »
Try this pdf file from Felixstowe Port Authority www.portoffelixstowe.co.uk/commercial/documents/tariff10.pdf ... Section 10 ..says tugs channels 10 & 12. (Need to download/save and read as pdf)
This link also lists channels VHF Channel 74, 12, 17, 15 or 10 re Felixstowe Marine  http://www.portoffelixstowe.co.uk/publications/journal/frmmarine.aspx
I guess all ports have their own preferences Southampton lists a "complete" range of channels (over 100) but tugs at VHF 71 and 74 depending if Exxon/ BP terminals or docks. www.sotonwss.org.uk/freqs/frequencies.pdf  Also note at the beginning of the Southampton blurb what you are legally / not committing offence to listen to nationwide / OFCOM with a scanner and if you are unlicenced.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 08:07:15 PM by ChasB46 »

Offline Ancient Mariner

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 10:02:58 AM »
The tugs will have very little reason to communicate with Port Control. Booking information regarding jobs will be sent to the tugs from the Svitzer is office by email or mobile phone.

So I'm not quite sure what info you think you are missing? Certainly there isn't another radio channel.
The tugs only need to work 2 channels (most are only fitted with 2 x VHF units anyway). One channel for comms with Port Control (which I think is CH9 in FXS), and the other is for direct comms with the pilot.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 10:07:29 AM by Ancient Mariner »

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 06:09:04 PM »
Re Southampton tugs to pilots re tankers generally VHF71 (they can also negotiate a different channel at the time) and VHF74 tugs / pilots dock movements. Has your radio a scanner setting where it scans channels until speech is heard? Wait for tug comms. and make a note.

Offline Tug Chaser

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 03:55:17 PM »
Thank you everyone, your suggestions were very useful & saved a lot of time.

As I wasn't sure what to expect I wasn't sure if I was getting everything. 

Chris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk