Author Topic: Photos considered for deletion  (Read 3445 times)

Offline Dave Forbes

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Photos considered for deletion
« on: June 02, 2012, 09:40:39 AM »
I've had a look at some of the 'photos considered for deletion' including one of mine and find that there is nothing wrong with them , maybe except that they cannot fit a category. Why don't shipspotting have a category for private boats or launches?

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Photos considered for deletion
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 09:57:53 AM »
Simple answer.. because the site is called SHIPspotting and not BOATspotting  ;D
This is put simmply, but I think that`s what this site is actually for.

Offline Robbie

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 10:23:42 AM »
Although I do agree with Cornelia's comment I think there is a bit of a double standard when it comes to images on this site. With out starting an argument there have been a few photo's I have seen uploaded lately that I don't think fit the site standards but go unnoticed due to friendships or popularity due to the number of images the photographer uploads. A prime example is the vessel calamity Jane which is currently in the deletions folder and although I agree this image is quite small there are other images from photographers (I won't name names) that take up the same if not less of the frame.

Regards Robbie

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 11:07:19 AM »
Guys,

The site is for ships and commercial craft. Hence, small private recreational boats are not permitted here. I'm afraid that we are not about to open the floodgates for all and sundry to be uploaded. That would be unfair to the vast majority of SHIP lovers on the site. We've already had to delete photos of canoes and rowing boats. Whilst some might find these interesting, they belong elsewhere and not on SHIPspotting.

On the issue of double standards - remember that "Consider for deletion" means just that. Deletions are presided over by at least two pairs of eyes and some photos are not deleted but returned to the main categories. Furthermore, admins are not watching the site 24/7, so some poor quality photos might get missed.

I am not going to comment on individual photos, but shots of ships which take up a small part of the frame are usually poor in overall quality. Occasionally, some smaller-frame shots are very well composed, sharp and have excellent exposure and colour. As an admin, I'd like to think that the latter would be retained on the site. I don't think that's double standards at all.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Sinisa Aljinovic

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 11:23:32 AM »
I agree with all of you but "we" made mistake a few years ago when someone was asking for fishing boats category to be set up.So, what we can see now is flood from fishing boat 4 meters long to ocean trawlers.Seems every recreational boat fits for this category.
Would like to see page without this category at all or just those longer than 30 meters. >:(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk