Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: HMS BELFAST GANGWAY COLLAPSES  (Read 2972 times)

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
BREAKING NEWS: HMS BELFAST GANGWAY COLLAPSES
« on: November 29, 2011, 02:13:24 PM »
Within the last hour the pedestrian walkway leading from the Thames riverside to HMS Belfast has collapsed.

I can see from my office lots of activity with PLA, police and fire launches and the multi-cat JESSICA S presumably taking stranded tourists from the vessel to shore. No reports of any serious injuries though 2 people understood to be slightly hurt

Photos and info here: http://londonist.com/2011/11/hmsbelfastcollapse.php

Brgds
Phil
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 02:15:36 PM by Phil English »

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: BREAKING NEWS: HMS BELFAST GANGWAY COLLAPSES
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 10:43:36 PM »
I know that they've been working on it for several months. Somebody's head needs to roll for that one, if it had been a busy Saturday dozens of tourists could have been on that gangway and ended up in the drink.
Clearly a fundamental error had been made somewhere.
Luckily nobody appears to have been seriously hurt.
Best Regards
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline Dave Forbes

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 11:57:20 AM »
Seeing the pictures now , yes , Belfast could have had fatalities to deal with. I though the gangway would have been more solidly built instead of what looks like tarpauline covered scaffold framing. The London Port Authroity , the Marine Accident Authority and probably the MCA will all want to have a good look at it in situ before anything is moved. Presumably the HMS Belfast will be closed to the public for the time being.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 01:04:56 PM »
The scaffolding and tarpaulin that you see are only there because of renovation work being done to the structure. It is normally a solid covered walkway.

Brgds
Phil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk