Author Topic: What happened to HMS Dauntless?  (Read 20288 times)

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
What happened to HMS Dauntless?
« on: September 11, 2011, 04:41:37 PM »
Hi,

She was seen passing Gravesend on Saturday 10th September inward for the DSEI at Excel (See Doug Shaw's photo) but was nowhere to be seen on Sunday morning? Only the STORM, BRAUNSCHWEIG & SNELLIUS were berthed in the Victoria Dock at Excel.

Any ideas as to her berth?

Regards

Bob

Offline steve*f

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • SHIPS AND BOATS IN LONDON
Re: What happened to HMS Dauntless?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 07:08:59 PM »
Protestors tried to stop the Dauntless on 10.09.11 Found this internet article relating to the Dauntless arrival.

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2011/09/484425.html?c=on

Maybe a reason why it was not docked with other DSEi vessels?
Regards Steve
Why not take a look at my blog "SHIPS AND BOATS IN LONDON". It's my take on the river traffic in the City.
http://thamesvessels.blogspot.com/

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 09:49:59 PM »
Hi Bob,
She's quite happily tucked away in the King George V Dock at the moment (Sunday evening).... in a really difficult place to get a decent shot of! Tried my charm but it wasn't enough to get through the security gate :( Posted a couple up though.
Best Regards
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline john

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 05:01:40 PM »
Can confirm D33 HMS DAUNTLESS.Is in KG 5  TOP END. Waiting for the wind to abate before being moved down to the Exel center. For you photo people agood viewing point is the other side of the dock Within the housing estate just off the Silvertown way E16 good shooting pps... ther are four other ship's at Exel== A802. HRMS SNELLIUS. FROM THE NETHERLANDS AND THREE OTHERS ??(NOT SHOWING ON MY AIS.)

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 08:36:54 PM »
Hi John,
Apart from the 'DAUNTLESS' in KGV yesterday there was the Norwegian 'STORM', Dutch 'SNELLIUS' and German 'BRAUNSCHWEIG' in the Royal Vic. But I also spotted the outline of another Naval vessel in Southend Anchorage (looked like a patrol type as a guess) presumably also waiting for the wind to abate before moving up river.
Best Regards
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 08:59:48 PM »
Hi Ken,

That'll be the one then, thanks for the info. 'River' Class Patrol Vessel. I could see her and what I presume was Seearland's Aframax tanker 'MONTIRON' which has been laid off there since late July since the owner filed for Chapter 11 proceedings, and was apparently moved today to the Tongue Anchorage.

Best Regards
John J.

Offline Doug Shaw

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 11:06:31 PM »
John.
It must have been spirited away somewhere up there,it passed Gravesend inward 0045 Monday 12th.
             Doug

Offline john

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 11:49:02 AM »
O contraire.. HMS Dauntless D33. Will be staying at the east end of KG.V for the duration of the arms fair. Was at the location this morning to see if they had moved her.(no.)There are two tenders ferrying people to and from Exel. HMS TYNE Is at Exel on birth behind Storm. Will try to keep you updated.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 07:10:55 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, I never ventured up that end on Sunday, luckily I have seen her a few times  :)

Cheers

Bob

Offline D33-XO

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 04:56:41 PM »
DAUNTLESS had always planned to berth at the east end of KING GEORGE V dock and did so as planned. The canoeists exercised their democratic rights but the MET Police ensured they didn't hinder us or indeed cause any damage. The reason we stayed in the KG V was because we're too big to get through the little lock that connects KG V to the Excel centre (we're 21m wide and nearly 8m draught!).
We weren't able to open to the public I'm afraid but we did host c4000 defence industry people throughout our week and it was hailed as a huge success.
We're now safely back in Pompey getting ourselves ready for our next period at sea, preparing for our deployment.

:D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk