Author Topic: SDSR - Ark Royal to be Scrapped  (Read 5154 times)

Offline Crennis

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/shippics/index.htm
SDSR - Ark Royal to be Scrapped
« on: October 18, 2010, 09:03:55 PM »
BBC news is reporting HMS Ark Royal is to be decommissioned almost immediately along with "frigates and a helicopter platform"... I assume that means all the T22's (atleast) and HMS Ocean.
Crennis :-o

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: SDSR - Ark Royal to be Scrapped
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 06:50:20 AM »
scrapped? you mean decommisioned, you had me pretty shocked there for a minute. Still would be very bad news though :-(
Wouldn't the "helicopter platform" refer to HMS ARGUS rather than HMS OCEAN?

Offline Lukasz Blaszczak

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ubootwaffe
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 10:23:52 AM »
I`m shocked. I accept decision about decommision T 22 Batch 3 frigates (20 - 21 years in service)but HMS Ark Royal is the youngest British aircarft carrier similar HMS Ocean (only 12 years in service)and decision about their decomission is for me very strange.
I not 100% sure but HMS Argus proceeded modernisation and refit in 2007.

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 01:43:27 PM »

I also read here, that she will be scrapped.

scrapped? you mean decommisioned, you had me pretty shocked there for a minute. Still would be very bad news though :-(
Wouldn't the "helicopter platform" refer to HMS ARGUS rather than HMS OCEAN?

Offline Crennis

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 04:59:05 PM »
The full version of the SDSR says Ark Royal to go immediately, along with four frigates (T22's), Either Ocean or Illustrious will be decommissioned and placed in extended readiness and a Bay Class LSD will also be decommissioned.

Offline Lukasz Blaszczak

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ubootwaffe
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 06:23:34 PM »
It`s a bad news for Royal Navy. I hope that HMS Ocean and Bay class LSD remain after decommision in reserve in expectation on better times. It`s a pitty to dispose of relatively new units.
I`d like to know where the pilots for new QE class carriers will be trained after decommision all Invincible class carriers.   

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 09:59:31 PM »
HMS Ocean will be put in mothballs this month.
After 4 years, she will come out of mothballs for a guest appearance training the crew for HMS Prince of Wales and then go to the bin.
As soon as HMS Prince of Wales is commissioned, HMS Queen Elizabeth will go into mothballs after 4 years in service without ever having had any aircraft to carry!
As for Ark Royal, she has just had an expensive refit so, following the government's logic, it will probably be going to the scrapyard.

It`s a bad news for Royal Navy. I hope that HMS Ocean and Bay class LSD remain after decommision in reserve in expectation on better times. It`s a pitty to dispose of relatively new units.
I`d like to know where the pilots for new QE class carriers will be trained after decommision all Invincible class carriers.   

Offline Crennis

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 06:51:56 PM »
Either Ocean or Illustrious will be decommissioned based on a study into which will provide a better helicopter platform for the next 4 years.

If they don't pick Ocean (a helicopter carrier) you have to ask some serious questions about the designers!

Illustrious is far more likely to be kept though, atleast then the government can claim to have kept an aircraft carrier in service, and she is likely to have completed her refit before the decision is made (although that would make her a lot more saleable asset).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk