Author Topic: Victory Ship in Port of Spain  (Read 5323 times)

Offline Barry Graham

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Victory Ship in Port of Spain
« on: June 09, 2010, 08:40:06 PM »
Captain Ted posted a photo of a derelict coaster in Port of Spain Trinidad in the "Wrecks and Relics" section.  See: http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo-1124651-unknown
If you look in the background of that photo you will see what looks like the remains of a Victory Ship.  Captain Ted says that unfortunately he was not able to identify that vessel.  Outside of the Reserve Fleet this must be one of few vessels of that type still in existence, albeit in a derelict state.  Does anyone have any information or a photograph of that vessel in Port of Spain?  Thanks in anticipation.  Barry

Offline Malim Sahib

• Just can't stay away
  • Merchant Seaman.
    • View Profile
Re: Victory Ship in Port of Spain
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 10:23:13 AM »
I've just spoken to a contact in Trinidad and can confirm there are in fact TWO Victory ships there.
They are 'Citadel Victory' and 'Drake Victory', and arrived in 1992 from the US.
As can be seen from the following site, it has been thought that the'd been scrapped - http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/vicshipsD.html
From my contact:

"They arrived at Port of Spain(POS) roads in 1993, under the tow of a salvage tug , called Baltic Rescuer or similar name ,have to double check the tugs name . They were being towed as scrap to India, however there was a wage dispute on the tug and I think ITF blocked them from sailing the tug stayed anchored for a several months and one day she capsized. Rumour was the crew opened her sea cocks and allowed her to go. Strangely there is still an oil sheen from the tug's bunker tanks , that you see as you come up the approach channel (grier channel) leading to POS. These two Victory ships were left a anchorage and about 10 yrs ago, they were moved inland to the present location for scrapping who owns it or what is to happen to them is a mystery. That area of Port of Spain is called Sealots and is worst than Davy Jones Locker , its a high crime area and not a safe place , so not many people venture there except those who live there. One of the main reasons I ave not gone to take a look , cause I always wished to take a look.

When they arrived in 1992 , they looked like they were in mothball condition , so I expected , they had a lot of fittings still on it. I would not doubt that they have been plundered and the decks may be in terrible condition."

Offline Barry Graham

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 10:30:55 AM »
Thanks very much for this interesting information.  Best regards.  Barry

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 10:55:28 AM »
About the tug: she was BALTIC RESCUER. This info was found on this very same site as comment to a picture:1970: Built as SEEFALKE by "F. Schichau" (Schichau - Unterweser AG) at Bremerhaven (YN 1749), 1986 -09/06: To "Mosquito Shipping Co Ltd" at Limassol (CYP), 1989 to "North Atlantic Towage & Salvage Ltd" at Limassol (CYP), renamed BALTIC RESCUER, 1996 -08-09/08: went under repair at Port of Spain, Trinidad, sank at moorings after being laid up and abandoned by her crew, declared total loss (voyage from Port Arthur for China, towing CITADEL VICTORY and DRAKE VICTORY for scrapping), in 199x: To "Yau Wing Shipbreaker" at Hong Kong, wreck removed

Offline razorboy

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 11:48:50 AM »
In 1976 the harbor area off Kings Wharf was full of sunken / half awash ships. lots of Asian style fishing vessels in rafts. Notable among the collection was an ancient tug and a green hulled hulk of what appeared to be a Liberty or Fort type ship. Does anyone have a list of vessels abandoned in that area?
"Empire ''F'' type HERMA A (x EMPIRE FAVERSHAM) was reprtedly abandoned there in 1975.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 12:39:12 PM »
Hi all

thats interesting, albeit in a terrible shape,,but seemingly still "alive"
bad that I could not get closer to them !!!
Will see, next time there,,who knows

brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Jan Ove

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
SEEFALKE (2) (1970) (IMO 7017454), BALTIC RESCUER (1989)
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 09:20:55 PM »
Hello,

Has onyone a photo of the BALTIC RESCUER as a wreck ... or knows a person who can help me in this case?

BALTIC RESCUER still afloat:
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1599276

Really looking forward for anykind of help.....

best regards
Jan
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:19:39 AM by Jan Ove »
All my photos are

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk