Author Topic: S.S. Socony Vacuum  (Read 4862 times)

Offline DeckApe85

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
S.S. Socony Vacuum
« on: June 16, 2008, 09:14:46 PM »
I am looking for any existing photos of the 1954 built Mobil Oil tanker "Socony Vacuum."

She was scrapped in 1984, having also existed with American Bulk Carriers Corp. as the "Comanche." I am looking for her because my father shipped aboard her as a Wiper (as the Socony Vacuum) between August and October 1971.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Mike
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."

George Orwell

Bob Scott

Re: S.S. Socony Vacuum
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 12:53:32 AM »
Hi, Mike,
There is a photo on this site of the ship you are looking for but in its later guise as Comanche. Try: http://media.shipspotting.com/uploads/photos/Ship+Photo+Comanche/469921.jpg. If that doesn't work, simply type Comanche in the Search box and, with a bit of perseverance, you will find it.
By the way, what, in American-speak, is a "wiper". Is it what we, in British English, would have called a "greaser" or "stoker" - an engineroom rating? Two great nations separated by a common language! - eh?

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 04:18:37 PM »

BobS wrote:
Hi, Mike,

By the way, what, in American-speak, is a "wiper". Is it what we, in British English, would have called a "greaser" or "stoker" - an engineroom rating? Two great nations separated by a common language! - eh?

Hi Bob

Found this on Wikipedia:

"A wiper is the most junior crewmember in the engine room of a ship. Their role consists of wiping down machinery and generally keeping it clean.

In the United States Merchant Marine, in order to be occupied as a wiper a person has to have a Merchant Mariner's Document issued by the United States Coast Guard. Because of international conventions and agreements, all wipers who sail internationally are similarly documented by their respective countries."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiper_%28occupation%29

Regards

Offline DeckApe85

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 07:41:03 PM »
Too bad the Comanche photo must have been taken down... I wanted to see it!!  :-(  :-(  :-(

George Orwell

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 07:50:59 PM »

Offline Ian Thomas

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 08:11:48 PM »
Two photos here on Auke Vissers site Mike, http://www.aukevisser.nl/others/id340.htm

Regards
Ian Thomas
Photo corrections Admin for Tankers and Data Editor.

Offline DeckApe85

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 04:21:57 PM »
Does anyone have any photos of her as Comanche anywhere? I am just looking to assemble a larger scrapbook of photos for my father.

George Orwell

Bob Scott

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 09:45:16 PM »
Here's a piece of completely useless information: Socony is an acronym for Standard Oil Company Of New York.
Esso is also an acronym  for SO, which was the Standard Oil Co of New Jersey.

Offline DeckApe85

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 06:29:24 AM »
If I can find the photograph of her as "Comanche" that should wrap up my collection nicely. To see what she became just before scrapping. Unfortunately, someone pulled the photo off the site.

George Orwell

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk