Author Topic: Swan Hunters Remembered  (Read 2867 times)

Swan Hunters Remembered
« on: April 06, 2008, 12:40:28 PM »
Hi All

As it appears that all of the talk is about the Tyne, I thought that members might be interested in a web site that has been set up by Mike Adie to collect and maintain a record of the World famous Swan Hunter Yard.

Full of photographs and memories of those who worked in the yards over the years. The site also maintains a visual timeline of the demolition of the Yard as much of its equipment was transported to new owners in Mumbai (India).

Well worth a visit - aim your browser @
http://web.mac.com/madie2/iWeb/Swan%20Hunters%20Shipyard/Welcome.html

Regards

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Swan Hunters Remembered
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 08:34:14 PM »
Hi all again                          Additional Info

I agree with Steve for those of you that have not seen it a look at Mike Adie's 'Swan Hunters Story' site has grown from strength to strength over the past months and I have also contributed some of the pictures taken from the river.
Early last year the Bharati Shipyard Ltd in India purchased various shipbuilding yard machinery, dockside cranes and even the floating dock (now re-named the FD Bhurati) all for their new shipbuilding yard at Maharashta Mumbai.
Some of the yard machines and crane sections left on the 4th April on the cargoship 'CE Future' but there is a cloud hanging over the floating dock shipment which is rumoured failed to obtain a seaworthy certificate to India and may well end up going on a semi-submercible cargo ship, this may well be the case as the dock was 'shortened' at the end of last year at the A&P Hebburn yard (the old Palmers yard to us locals).
As you will see on the site work came to a standstill when the last contractors left site due to a contractual dispute but has only recently restarted with new contractor so some of the cranes are 'half down'.
The Tyne skyline will not be the same in that area soon!
Regards
Mike   :-)
Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

Offline Kier Shackleton Gigeroff

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://Website under construction on CCG vessels
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 08:38:40 PM »
Hi Steve,

Sad news, I didn't know that they were out of service. Do you remember any ships being built there? Here's one of many to be built there, CSS Acadia is preserved here in Halifax, and is a great example of this shipyard.

Cheers,

Kier

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 08:39:27 PM »
Yes I agree it is a very good website ,I would love to know what the owner got for all the gear that is getting shipped away?I bet it is more than he made out of the yard on all the past contracts :-D  :lol:  :-o  :-)  :-D

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 09:26:49 PM »

cawky wrote:
Yes I agree it is a very good website ,I would love to know what the owner got for all the gear that is getting shipped away?I bet it is more than he made out of the yard on all the past contracts  

Hi Brian

A quote at the time was that when Swans were in full productions the equipment was worth in excess of

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 09:30:33 PM »
Hi Mike

Just to keep the record straight - CE Future left yesterday evening - 5th April not the 4th  :lol:
The original plan was indeed to load the dismantled cranes onto the floating dock and take it lock stock and barrel to India.

Regards

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 10:45:34 PM »

Ellwood wrote:
Quote:

cawky wrote:
Yes I agree it is a very good website ,I would love to know what the owner got for all the gear that is getting shipped away?I bet it is more than he made out of the yard on all the past contracts  

Hi Brian

A quote at the time was that when Swans were in full productions the equipment was worth in excess of

Offline Malim Sahib

• Just can't stay away
  • Merchant Seaman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 11:10:18 PM »
They were a great shipyard, however by the 60s they had gone the same way as most other British yards - producing poor quality ships which were often very late, over budget and with construction constantly harassed by industrial action.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk