Author Topic: Plan 'B' Large Semi-Submersible ship for theTyne?  (Read 3894 times)

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Plan 'B' Large Semi-Submersible ship for theTyne?
« on: January 21, 2008, 08:05:07 PM »
Heard a rumour the weekend that a large semi-submersible transport ship is due for the Tyne very soon to collect the Ex Swan Hunters floating drydock now the 'FD BHARATI' to take it to India.
The floating dock was recently drydocked at A&P Hebburn (ex Palmers) and it appears to of been shortened (see my picture uploaded to this site).They did 'not' fit a bow which I also heard a rumour of!
I heard Plan 'A' was to sadley load also parts of the large Swans dock cranes which the Bharati Shipyard have also purchased 'into the floating dock' and tow the lot to India but they could not get a seaworthy certificate for the dock?.
My experiance of semi-submersibles is they like deep water to submerge to allow the cargo (the floating dock) onto it before then pumping out to lift the cargo clear for shipment, so does this mean they will do it off the Tyne?
You also need extremly good weather to carry out the normaly 24hr operation which is something we are a bit short of these days on Tyneside.
Anyone here anything else??
Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Plan 'B' Large Semi-Submersible ship for theTyne?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 09:23:56 PM »
Hi, these rumours a probably true, i cant see them floating the drydock all the way to India! Maybe Steve knows somthing? I am not sure about where the operation will take place, like you said, if its out in the bay, they will need perfect condtions. Maybe they will do it near the lighthouses, with protection from the sea walls. If they are going to it on the river, wouldnt it just clog the traffic?

Regards, Nathan.

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 09:58:19 PM »
Maybe the floating dry dock does not need much water??
The tyne can take ships at 10 metres draught at low tide add 4 or 5 metres at high tide, maybe this might just be deep enough.I  dont know if it will work in tthe river.I can remember a few years back ther was a semi-submersible came to the Tyne ,but I cant remember if they did unload its cargo in the Tyne, or I think they might have went down to the tees bay and flooded the semi-sub,then towed (I think it was a small jack up rig)it back to the tyne. I am not 100 per cent sure.

http://www.portoftyne.co.uk/news2.aspx?nID=94

http://www.dockwise.com/vessels/node/195

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 10:10:25 PM »
Maybe they will put the Teesbay theory into practice?
It all depends on the size of the semi - sub, we will have to keep on eye on the tyne movements, see if any names pop up!
- Nathan

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 08:22:41 PM »
I do not think they will allow the floating dock to sail to the Tees or anywhere else if it does not have a sea worthy certificate.
The dock is actualy bigger than you may think, remember she had docked the Lymn & 'Largs Bay' at one time.
Passing the dock going upriver this weekend my guess is it has a draft of about 4/5 meters.
Allowing for say 1.5 meters to float over the deck of a submerged semi submersible and say 8m for the semi submersible plus depth below the submerged semi submersible then you could be looking at a depth required of 15/17meters!.
Port of Tyne Expected shipping show Expected 'Movement' for the dock on the 27/01/08 at 17.00, but this usualy means what it says and movement within the river.
Still we do not realy know what is happening at present so we will just have to wait and see!
Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 08:57:48 PM »
Hi Mike

I'm really surprised that it has been refused a seaworthy certificate for the tow to Bharati Shipyard, India - that was certainly the way I thought the floating dock would go, after all it was originally towed to the Swan Hunter Wallsend Yard from Dunkirk.

Great picture of the floating dock in action @ http://www.swanhunter.com/projects_lsda.html

At 20,000 tons, I would think a semi submersible would be the way to go and as Cawky has mentioned the Tyne is quite deep enough at that point - although there ma have to be some dredging I would suspect just to be on the safe side.

We will have to keep an eye on the Port of Tyne Movement schedules to find out when it is leaving - should be a great photographic opportunity.

By the way, can you send me your mobile number by email - I've been down to the Royal Quays taking photographs recently but had lost your number - I'll give you a call and pop around and see Caer Urfa  :lol:

Regards

Steve Ellwood

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 09:11:37 PM »

NLHOBDAY wrote:
Hi, these rumours a probably true, i cant see them floating the drydock all the way to India! Maybe Steve knows somthing? I am not sure about where the operation will take place, like you said, if its out in the bay, they will need perfect condtions. Maybe they will do it near the lighthouses, with protection from the sea walls. If they are going to it on the river, wouldnt it just clog the traffic?

Regards, Nathan.

Hi Nathan

I'm sure the original plans were to load the floating dock up with the dismantles cranes, together with other machinery and plant that had been purchased and tow it all from Tyneside to Bharati Shipyard in India.

One thing about the inner Piers of the Tyne is that it is a very dangerous place with the Black Midden Rocks to one side  and the Herd Sands to the other, only the 'central' shipping channel is the 'safe' place. Too restrictive and also the tide stream to contend with,  I would have thought to attempt the loading of a 20,000 floating dock. I reckon it will be loaded at the former shipyard itself.

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 09:21:06 PM »
Hi Steve, i was really hoping they would come to Teesbay to flood up! Oh well, lets see what happens up your end then!
- Nathan

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »

NLHOBDAY wrote:
Hi Steve, i was really hoping they would come to Teesbay to flood up! Oh well, lets see what happens up your end then!
- Nathan

Hi Nathan

As you say - wait and see  :lol:

By the way, the reason that the Dry Dock was recently in A&P Hebburn's Yard was that it has been shortened by 30 metres - not sure if that has anything to do with it fitting onto onto a semi submersible?

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 09:34:27 PM »
Who knows! We need someone on the inside. 8-)
The link you posted of the drydock in action is spectacular! There is a good image of a bulker coming into Teesport on the tees bay pilots webpage: http://www.teespilots.plus.com/
- Nathan

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 07:24:45 PM »
The Largs bay was 176 Metres long ,if you take the 30 Metres off we are looking at the dock being approximately 150 metres:-

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/bay_class/specs.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk