Author Topic: Norfolk, Virginia Shipspotting  (Read 1333 times)

Offline mtpat10

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Norfolk, Virginia Shipspotting
« on: March 06, 2010, 04:49:47 AM »
I am traveling through the Norfolk, Va & Chesapeake Bay area. Would appreciate any advice on shipspotting vantage points.
Thanks.
Malcolm Patten

Offline GrimsB

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Norfolk, Virginia Shipspotting
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:41:57 AM »
One of the best places to catch the shipping coming into and out of Hampton Roads is on Ft Monroe Virginia.  You can recognize Ft Monroe by the old Chamberlin Hotel that sits at the tip of Old Point Comfort; adjacent to the Bridge/Tunnel between Hampton and Norfolk.  Ft Monroe is off the first exit coming west through the tunnel on I-64 from Norfolk (or last exit coming east from Richmond) before the tunnel to Norfolk.  You'll have to stop at the gate and get a Visitors Pass but its worth it.  If you are into history, you'll want to see the Casemate Museum and get the history of Ft Monroe where Lincoln disembarked during the Civil War and Confederate President Jefferson was imprisoned after the war in the moat wall.  Ft Monroe is the only active military installation with a moat around part of the post - great place to visit.  The other great place to view the shipping is to go half way across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel to the pier - its where all the shipping has to go through (coming and going into Hampton Roads).
[color=000000]Dave[/color][/b][/i]

[color=000000]I Don't Suffer From Stress, I'm a Carrier[/color][/b]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk