Author Topic: THAMESPORT & TILBURY CONTAINER PORT  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
THAMESPORT & TILBURY CONTAINER PORT
« on: December 11, 2009, 01:20:22 PM »
I would like to try and spend some of the Christmas/New Year holiday viewing what is happening at Thamesport and Tilbury Container Port. Trying to find suitable viewing points on Google Earth, but would greatly appreciate any local tips

Offline laurie

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: THAMESPORT & TILBURY CONTAINER PORT
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 11:43:43 PM »
I have no knowledge of any views of Tilbury container terminal from the North side of the river.It can be viewed from a distance  from the south side . If you are using public transport get off at Northfleet  bus garage and walk down Fountain walk opposite the garage. On the left is a residents private car park which can be accessed up some steps. from herer you have an end on view of the terminal and also the docks. A short distance along the road towards Gravesend is Birch Road and if you go down there you can get beside the river where other enthusiasts often congregate if there are to be any shipping movements. Anything going to or from the container terminal goes past here. You can check times on the Tilbury container website and alsio the PLA website ( but arrival times show the time , I think , when the pilot boards at for exampl e the sunk pilot so are about 4 hours early).If you have a car turn left  out of Birch Road and you can get nearer the terminal but I am not sure how close you can get or what sort of views you get of the terminal.

Thamesport is not easy to observe from the south side of the Medway but very distant views can be had from Riverside Country park  or further along Lower Rainham Road.On the North side I dont think you can get access to the terminal and views of the ships  are rather obstructed.
Laurie

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: THAMESPORT & TILBURY CONTAINER PORT
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 08:40:51 AM »
Many thanks to members for the very useful information and tips - I will certainly try these locations over the Christmas/New year holidays.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk