Author Topic: Forum search  (Read 2348 times)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Forum search
« on: April 20, 2015, 04:18:32 PM »
It seems that the Forum Search function is currently nearly-completely useless.  Maybe it has never been mended since the last failure, in which case there should be a warning on the search page.  This is not of course a matter that the mods can control, so I hope that the techies will be informed.

Example, looking for site function topics on fishing vessels, I searched for "fishing" after selecting "Site related news, functions and modules" board only and "most relevant first".
It produces 34 pages of results!  They are headed by one result that actually meets the set criteria - well it's apparently 73.2% relevant apparently, whatever that means (to me its 100%) - the rest of the page is useless.
The second result by "relevancy" is http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php/topic,13858.0.html, which is on the wrong board and doesn't mention the word "fishing", and yet is deemed to be 69.4% relevant to the search criteria!!
Not until halfway down the second page does it find two more fishing results in the right category. And there is one on page four, which was only 55% relevancy, despite being titled "Fishing Vessels"

Then, out of interest, I looked at the last page of the results.  Wow!  All but one containe the word "fishing" and they are all on the selected Board, yet they apparently have less that 10% relevance to the query. Go figure!  Goodness knows what's on pages 5-33.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk