Author Topic: MARINE ATLANTIC  (Read 2039 times)

Offline snocky

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
MARINE ATLANTIC
« on: January 07, 2013, 01:33:56 AM »
Hi shipspotters. Is there anyone out there with opinions from experience in relation to performace of new BLUE PUTEES & HIGHLANDERS  compared to SMALLWOOD & CARIBOU in regard as to which are better sea ships? Would love to hear from you on this, as i think the older SMALLWOOD & CARIBOU were better sea ships by far than the newer PUTEES & HIGHLANDERS.

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: MARINE ATLANTIC
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 08:59:08 AM »
Hello There,

Not an easy question to answer for sure!It would have to depend on what aspect you are looking at and comparing it.For example passenger comfort and the ability to clear the lot the 2 new ferries beat them hands down.In regards to breakdowns and cancellations the 2 old Gulfspans seem to beat them in that department.In regards to breakdowns whether it is getting to know your ship which in this day and age are very complicated pieces of machinery, incompetence or they are just lemons, based on results so far the old vessels seemed to have performed better.Also the issue of cancellations has also come to the forefront.The new vessels seem to be alongside the dock more often which is most likely a result of the new vessels bigger size and handling.Some say it is because they are junk and others say they are not designed for the run.It seems to be a tough call for many reasons and comes down to personal opinion.From my experience I have enjoyed travelling on the new ones and the old ones and they all have good points and bad.To to me you cannot compare them based on their different size,characteristics and crew experience(You are comparing the Gulfspans with 20 years of crew experience to the Seabridgers with almost 1 year of crew experience).It is definately a tough one to call so far and I think will be for the foreseeable future.

Take Care
Jarrod

[color=0066FF]Jarrod David[/color][/b]

Offline Kai R

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: MARINE ATLANTIC
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 09:53:41 AM »
There is a group on facebook in which this topic is discussed fiercely: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/groups/205732132788620/

There have been some cancellations in recent months, a few because of technical reasons, more because of the weather. There are constant rumours about stability issues (ships rolling and ships kept in pprt more often) but it seems to be a discussion more within this group than in the public.

Overall the first year in service has been largely without problems, since this winter the service level has degraded a bit.

Regards

Kai

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk