Author Topic: TAMAMIMA (EX CRESTBANK) SOLD FOR SCRAP  (Read 9555 times)

Offline stumps

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: TAMAMIMA (EX CRESTBANK) SOLD FOR SCRAP
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 03:26:08 PM »
As the "BERGA" she is on The Market looking for cargoes direction "Middle East/India" - so does'nt need a brain surgeon to work out the eventual destination  :-(

Offline Krispen Atkinson

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Shipping Videos
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2006, 11:52:00 AM »
I believe they were chasing cargoes over Nov/Dec but apparently she was inspected a few times, understandable after a 7 year lay-up, and result was that 2 of the holds where not in a fit state to carry cargo.
I believe she is taking bunker fuel today in Falmouth.

Krispen

Offline Krispen Atkinson

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Shipping Videos
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2006, 02:57:15 PM »
My Dad has now got his picture on Shipspotting of the Berga sailing from the River Fal, 19/1/06, end of an era for her off Tolverne.
http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=171820

Offline rushie

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2006, 08:13:28 PM »
It's a great shame that such a fantastic vessel, which was part of life, and a tourist attraction on the River Fal for over 8 years was never bought by the National Maritime Museum when it opened in Falmouth a few years ago. It would have made a fascinating exhibit, with visits on board etc.

The so-called National Maritme Museum does not cater for, and is not interested in anything larger than something that Ellen MacArthur would try and sail around in, and it's grand title is meaningless to the lack of exhibits concerning shipping.People are far better off visiting the Maritime Museum in Liverpool which is superb.

Unfortunately the one in Falmouth is no more than a glorified yacht club! :-x

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2006, 11:24:20 PM »
I have to agree Rushie. I got as far as the lobby of the NMM at Falmouth last year and asked what I got for the six quid entry fee. Basically nothing !! However, finding the necessary permanent accommodation there for a large museum peice would never be easy. A&P own most of the deepwater berths at Falmouth for their shiprepair business. The cruise berth and oil terminal are obviously out of the question too. The rest of the water frontage is largely a yacht marina!

Phil

Offline rushie

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2006, 08:56:48 AM »
Hi Phil,

My thoughts would have been to leave her where she was, and run trips up in conjunction with Fal River Links...I'm positive they would have jumped at the chance. Perhaps they can secure the QE2 in 2010 instead!

Cheers,

Rushie. :-D

Offline nosnikta

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2006, 11:33:50 PM »
BERGA ex TAMAMIMA together with the BOURNE sailed from Falmouth during the afternoon of 22 January and reported that next port of call would be Gibraltar.
The BOURNE had transfered fresh water to the BERGA in Gerrans Bay to east of Falmouth during the previous 24 hours.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk