Author Topic: Visit Alang shipbreaking yards  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Bj

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Visit Alang shipbreaking yards
« on: February 02, 2012, 12:38:46 PM »
I understand that M/S Safeer Express has ETA Alang in India on February 3 for scrapping.

Does anyone have experience in visiting Alang shipbreaking yards, when the purpose is to see the ship and not criticize the working condiotons ?
If anyone has experience with the above, I'll receive information with great thanks.

Another option is if anyone has contacts at Alang, which could help with the visit.

Greeting bdk, Norway

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Visit Alang shipbreaking yards
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 01:20:26 PM »
Bjorn,

I understand that Alang shipbreaking yards rarely accept visitors, unless it is business-related. However, you could try contacting these people, who are the cash buyers:
http://www.gmsinc.net/gms/home.php
Good luck!

Brgds
Phil
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 01:23:02 PM by Phil English »

Offline Kai R

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 01:23:02 PM »
you might wish to contact Peter Knego, maritime journalist. He blogs on www.maritimematters.com and visits Alang regularly. Also there was a group of German and Finnish people visiting Finnjet there, I believe it was Matthias Saken. http://www.finnjetweb.com/en/ . You can find the video on youtube and maybe you can contact them.

Regards

Kai

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 01:56:55 PM »
Hi,

from what I have understood by reading Peter Knego's blogs is that you also have to be lucky about which breaker you contact, some are more happy to help you than others
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Offline Kai R

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
it will also help if you go there to buy things off the ship. That is what the breakers do for a living, selling old ships in parts.

Regards

Kai

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk