Author Topic: Types of camera  (Read 15422 times)

Offline MattB

• Just can't stay away
  • Soon.......................
    • View Profile
Types of camera
« on: December 26, 2011, 12:46:26 AM »
I'm looking to upgrade to a Canon DSLR. Can anyone give me any ideas on what type to go for? I also have a Fujifilm HS10 (bridge camera) with a 30x zoom but wondered what others were using.

Regards

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
Re: Types of camera
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 01:13:54 AM »
Hi MattyBoy

I'd suggest that you go for a cheap DSLR body such as the 1100D or the 600D and invest in a good quality lens. That's where all the quality comes from, the glass! :)

Kind Regards
Cody

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 09:19:28 AM »
choose the tamron 18-270mm lens, then you'll have good range, with good quality. Most of my photos from 2009- fall 2011 are made with that one, along with a eos 450D/7D

Tomas

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 11:33:13 AM »
If you go for one of the cheaper Canon DSLRs you're still getting an excellent camera but you'll have more to spend on quality lenses. I use a Canon 70-200 f4 (non-IS) L-series lens which is of superb quality but costs less than

Offline peter j. fitzpatrick

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 11:00:32 PM »
I'm looking to upgrade to a Canon DSLR. Can anyone give me any ideas on what type to go for? I also have a Fujifilm HS10 (bridge camera) with a 30x zoom but wondered what others were using.

Regards
It very much depends on what you're budget is
I still love to take photos on 35mm film but my digital set up is as good as you can get
I have purchased a canon 5d, and a few canon l lenses the best you can get
21 megapixels, and all recorded on compact flash media
If you had 3000 pounds you could buy this set up
It's cost a lot of money but it's worth every penny
It's superb
Regards
Peter

Offline peterredd

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 01:14:11 AM »
Hi Folks i only have a cheap camera Olympus 14 Mp it does the job i have to get used to the settings but most of the ships pictures i can get iam very very close to the action.. I thanks all for your help with the resize problem but i have that under control, so looked forward to clearer pics from me..

Regards Peter   Peterredd
Just love ships

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 10:05:35 AM »
Much obliged to everyone for your replies. I'm a newbie to this photography lark ! I'm amazed at how many different types of lenses are available particularly with the Canon EOS range of camera's.

I guess some lenses are interchangeable(?) between manufacturers. Am I right in thinking you don't have to stick with the same supplier ?

I say Canon because a friend recommends them highly although they do appear to be quite an expensive addition to the family !!

Many thanx again. :)

You can't use Nikon lenses on Canon cameras (or Pentax or Sony, etc, etc) and vice versa. However, you can use third-party lenses, such as Sigma, Tamron or Tokina, on any DSLR as long as the lens has the correct mount for your camera.

If you want a DSLR you can't go wrong with Canon. They - and nearest rivals Nikon, who are also very good - have the largest range of cameras and lenses to choose from so all eventualities are covered.

Ken, I agree. I rarely use my 400mm lens for ships because, at that range, the image is often affected by haze and you end up with a weird mirage. As for shake, an alternative to IS lenses is using a monopod, fairly lightweight and not as cumbersome and space-hogging as a tripod.

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 11:18:33 AM »
I bought, and use a sigma 50-500mm of the new kind with OS, with great satisfaction, and the images dont turn out to bad either, both in short, and long range. Paired with the 7D, its HEAVY, weighs in at allmost 3 kg. But a fantastic lens it is.

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 02:06:29 PM »
I agree with Derek if it's a hobby a cheap secondhand canon with a decent lens could set you back 200 to 300 pounds
Well worth the money
But I would also buy a film camera maybe the eos 300  that you could pick up on flee bay for as little as 30 pounds with a zoom lens
You can then see the difference between digital and film and decide what you want to go forward with
I have been snapping since around the 1978 mark when I got a camera for a birthday present
Start off with a good canon and work your way up the ladder
Best regards
Peter

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 04:53:37 PM »
I agree with Derek if it's a hobby a cheap secondhand canon with a decent lens could set you back 200 to 300 pounds
Well worth the money
But I would also buy a film camera maybe the eos 300  that you could pick up on flee bay for as little as 30 pounds with a zoom lens
You can then see the difference between digital and film and decide what you want to go forward with
I have been snapping since around the 1978 mark when I got a camera for a birthday present
Start off with a good canon and work your way up the ladder
Best regards
Peter

I suppose it does depend on whether you want to upload pics onto the internet or whether you want photos for an album. With film you do need to pay for each roll of film and processing costs, and I don't know how many high street chains (Boots, etc) process film these days. Even if you want physical photos for an album, you can get prints done from digital of course.
I remember that prior to summer 2004 I had no intention of switching to digital, then I got a digital superzoom bridge camera, then a DSLR and have never looked back.  :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 04:59:01 PM by FaithJ »

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 05:49:20 PM »
LOL, me too Ken, it'd be ridiculous. As well as ships, I love photographing wildlife and, as I get about 1 shots in 5 right with birds' tails vanishing out of shot, film would bankrupt me in no time!

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 07:17:23 PM »
But on the other hand how many digital shots have you lost when your p c has crashed !
At least with film you have a hard copy of the print and a negative that if kept in good condition will last years
Not the same for digital
Digital will if not copied to decent media break up over time
So many arguments could be had on this subject but this is my opinion
You have your own opinions
Peter

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 08:34:36 PM »
That is a very good point, Peter. My shots are backed up several times on various hard drives and I have had a couple of PCs die on me and one can never be 100% certain, but...what if your house burned down and you were unable to save your film hard copies...? It's definitely a dilemma, though.

It's a whole different argument though.  :)

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 09:16:38 PM »
But if your house burnt down then wouldn't your computer go up in flames as well ?
This site is a great way of showing your photos to the world and maybe keeping them around for a lot longer than maybe yourself
I myself have more than 50.000 negatives and slides and god knows how many digital  images
I may one day sell them
Then I wouldn't have any problems !
Regards
Peter

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 09:39:55 AM »
MattyBoy,

I don't think it will. I've never heard of any digital files 'breaking up' due to age. On the other hand, I have many old prints and slides which have deteriorated badly over time.

Brgds
Phil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk