Author Topic: Istanbul  (Read 7028 times)

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
Istanbul
« on: November 18, 2011, 05:48:56 PM »
I am thinking of a trip to Istanbul, probably late next year if not in 2013, and photographing ships would be a part of that trip. This is really just in the 'I'm thinking about it' stage at the moment but I would like to know how easy it is to photograph ships in the Bosphorus, are there any hazards such as sensitive places to avoid, etc, etc? Is it ok to be openly taking photos along the Bosphorus (from what I have read about Turkey, it's safe and friendly, but I am not going to do anything that is going to get me into any hot water!)?
If so where are the best places to go and, also, are there boat trips, etc, one can take?

Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks.   :D

Offline itsfoto

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Istanbul
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 08:13:22 PM »
You are going to love every minute.
It's a shipspotter's paradise.
Countless locations, an endless parade of ships.
Mind you, the city herself is rather enticing, you might find yourself easily distracted from what you thought you came for.

Cheers
Uwe

Offline Mick Warrick

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 08:25:41 PM »
Hi, I go every year, great for both Ships and Photos, unsure about trips though, Still pleny of nice cargo ships sailing in the area, but don`t leave it too long, Mick

Offline Simon Olsen

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 08:50:02 AM »
Hi Faith

Traffic through the Bosphorus generally moves in convoy, northbound in the morning, southbound in the afternoon, which is generally helpful for ship photography. The switch is usually around 1/2 pm but can be earlier or later. Naval vessels and cruise ships are not subject to the convoy system.

There are plenty of vantage points but the cityscape background can be a problem. Clearest spot for morning photography is a promenade near the Kadikoy ferry stop on the Asian side but a long lens is essential. Northbound ships come closest at Kandilli, the narrowest point in the straits. here you can take shots from the crumbling promenade or from the road above (which helps with background and avoids the risk of fishing rods getting in the way).

A "tourist" ferry leaves Eminonu 2/3 times each day, first one at 10.35, calling at several locations en route to Anadolu Kavagi at the northern end of the straits. Penultimate stop is Rumeli Kavagi, on the European side, which is excellent for afternoon shots (best position is from the hill about 600 metres to the south of the ferry stop and after around 2.30 when the summer has moved around).

There are several other good points for afternoon photography: the Sarayburnu tea gardens (in Gulhane park and near Topkapi palace) is sufficiently high up to avoid background clutter); Rumeli Hisari, near the 2nd Bosphorus bridge (and almost opposite Kandilli); and Tarabya, about the only point where you can take southbound traffic around midday with the sun behind you.

please send me a pm with your e-mail if you would like a map with the locations marked.

Hope you manage to get there - it's a fantastic city, not just for the ships

regards
Simon

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 11:08:30 AM »
Hi Uwe, Mick and Simon. Many thanks for your replies.  :)

Simon, that's some good info there. I'll send you a PM.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 01:48:16 PM »
Hi Faith

Derek just beat me to this, TSS are arranging a trip to Istanbul 15 -22 September 2012.

http://www.thamesshipsociety.org.uk/2012Programme.htm

Best regards

Bob

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 03:55:27 PM »
Thanks Derek and Bob I'm looking into it.  :)

Offline peter fox

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 10:28:31 AM »
Hello faith j

Why Dont you join the thames ship society its only

Offline Jimmy Christie

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Mostly Ships
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 03:29:34 PM »
I am thinking of a trip to Istanbul, probably late next year if not in 2013, and photographing ships would be a part of that trip. This is really just in the 'I'm thinking about it' stage at the moment but I would like to know how easy it is to photograph ships in the Bosphorus, are there any hazards such as sensitive places to avoid, etc, etc? Is it ok to be openly taking photos along the Bosphorus (from what I have read about Turkey, it's safe and friendly, but I am not going to do anything that is going to get me into any hot water!)?
If so where are the best places to go and, also, are there boat trips, etc, one can take?

Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks.   :D

Faith,

many thanks for posting that question as I'll have two days in Istanbul on board Queen Victoria 24/25 September next year so I'll be watching the replies with interest.

Anybody know where abouts in Istanbul QV is likely to berth and what the ship photography prospects are likely to be from the ship itself?

J

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 06:46:19 PM »
Hello faith j

Why Dont you join the thames ship society its only

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk