Author Topic: Warships - Do they have registered ports?  (Read 2838 times)

Offline Stephen Reynolds

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • My Ship Spotting Site
Warships - Do they have registered ports?
« on: November 14, 2011, 05:13:15 PM »
Hi all, this may be a daft question but do warships have registered ports as other vessels? I have seen quite a few vessels close up and in photographs and they dont seem to show anything externally but officially are warships registered to their relative capital city or base of operations?

Regards

Steve

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Warships - Do they have registered ports?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 03:31:08 AM »
For my personal records I just put the port the vessel is based in down as the port of Registry.  The main naval base in Australia's case might be Sydney, but we have vessels based in Cairns, Darwin, Broome and Fremantle but it is hard to keep on top of them as the move around so much, that one day an Australian Navy ship might be based in Sydney but a week latter it is based in Fremantle.

Offline Jimmy Christie

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Mostly Ships
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 07:00:10 AM »
For my personal records I just put the port the vessel is based in down as the port of Registry.  The main naval base in Australia's case might be Sydney, but we have vessels based in Cairns, Darwin, Broome and Fremantle but it is hard to keep on top of them as the move around so much, that one day an Australian Navy ship might be based in Sydney but a week latter it is based in Fremantle.

Same in UK, Glenn.  A naval ship doesn't have a "port of registry" in the sense that a merchant vessel does.  They do have a "home port", but this is not displayed anywhere on the hull.  The trouble is that naval ships will be rotated around different ports in accordance with "the exigencies of the service" so, as Glenn say, the home port can change quite frequently and without any publicity making it hard to track them.

J

Offline Stephen Reynolds

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • My Ship Spotting Site
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 01:37:23 PM »
Jimmy / Glen

Thank you both for your comments - All is now clear.

Regards

Steve

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk