Author Topic: Naval Designations  (Read 8505 times)

Offline Chris Howell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Naval Designations
« on: October 02, 2011, 03:53:34 AM »
Naval Designations

As I intend to post many naval scans can anyone confirm for me the correct naval designations for the following countries.

Belgium
Germany
Denmark
Norway
France
Italy
Greece
Russia post cold war
Spain
Portugal
India
Singapore
Malaysia
Indonesia

Thanks
Notes on album
1. All postings are photography of Chris Howell except where stated taken from 1972 to date.
2. Photographs taken by others are credited as owned collection and photographers name where known and I own the copyright or the person mentioned in the text.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Naval Designations
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 08:10:53 AM »
Hi Chris

Not the entire list but should cover your needs  :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_prefix

Regards

Bob

Offline Chris Howell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 09:24:40 AM »
Thanks Bob

Should have gone there, as I use it all the time.
Notes on album
1. All postings are photography of Chris Howell except where stated taken from 1972 to date.
2. Photographs taken by others are credited as owned collection and photographers name where known and I own the copyright or the person mentioned in the text.

BobS

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 10:09:08 AM »
Would it not be best to leave the prefixes off altogether and just use the name and the pennant/hull number?
With the prefixes it may become confusing depending where the poster comes from. For example: a Dutch contributor would, I think, tend to post a photo of a Dutch naval ship with the prefix Hr.Ms.or Zr.Ms., while English speakers would tend to use HNLMS.
Why not just keep things simple?
We don't have mv or ss, etc in front of merchant names so why be different with military vessels?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 07:55:35 PM by Bob Scott »

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 09:06:01 PM »
Bob has a valid point !

Brgds,
Rob.

Offline Chris Howell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 11:44:53 PM »
I agree with Bob this would useful for this site.

But not keen on changing all the naval scans I've posted !

The only problem I see, is for example with the Royal Navy's Leander, the correct name is HMS LEANDER, or once decommissioned ex HMS LEANDER.

Notes on album

BobS

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 07:44:01 AM »
Don't follow you on that last comment, Chris. the words "HMS LEANDER" never appeared on the sides of that frigate. It's name was LEANDER, from the day it was launched until the day it was cut up.
Bob

Offline victor radio74

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 08:22:37 AM »
I support the Bob Scott opinion. I posted a photo of the norwegian frigate THOR HEYERDAHHL F314 and I didn't see HNoMS in her hull. That is the same that posting for the EMMA MAERSK -IMO 9321483
Ap MOLLER MAERSK EMMA MAERSK IMO 9321483

Offline Bjarne Pettersen

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 06:11:07 PM »
Just to complicate things even further for you. The naval prefixes doesn't give you type of vessel like SS/MV/MTr etc, but it gives you both national and to some extent organisational information. For example the Norwegian naval prefix is HNoMS which is used for it's naval vessels, but the Norwegian coastguard which is a part of the navy uses NoCGV as a prefix. Thereby by omitting the prefix you loose a piece of the puzzle.....

BobS

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 10:42:40 AM »
Ken
If your warships admin really knows his stuff, all the prefixes and, for instance the difference between a USS and a USNS or an HMS, RFA or RMAS - and also has the time and dedication to keep on top of the job - then I am sure your system will work just fine.
Bob
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:49:10 AM by Bob Scott »

Offline Allan Wright

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Wrightys Warships
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 04:27:03 PM »
What a intresting discussion, some excellent points made by all. One other point i'd like to make is that some countries change due to where they are. For example the Swedish Navy when in Swedish Waters refer to themselves as HMS Hans/Hennes Majest

Offline Bjarne Pettersen

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 05:03:37 PM »
"HMS" is the Swedish designation just like the Norwegian "KNM". If you stick to the English one it'll simplify things

Offline Sture Thorgaard

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 10:38:29 AM »
Would it not be best to leave the prefixes off altogether and just use the name and the pennant/hull number?
With the prefixes it may become confusing depending where the poster comes from. For example: a Dutch contributor would, I think, tend to post a photo of a Dutch naval ship with the prefix Hr.Ms.or Zr.Ms., while English speakers would tend to use HNLMS.
Why not just keep things simple?
We don't have mv or ss, etc in front of merchant names so why be different with military vessels?

I totally agree from Norway. KNM /HNoMs

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk