Author Topic: Markings on Spanish fishing vessels  (Read 5146 times)

Offline Keith Bassett

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Markings on Spanish fishing vessels
« on: September 16, 2011, 06:22:15 PM »
Hi,
Can anyone explain the markings on the hulls of Spanish fishing vessels,ei.3a-CO-2_03-94.?
I believe the CO is the home port,and the 94 might be the year built,but not sure of the rest.
Thank you
keithb

Offline Manuel Mohedano Torres

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Calabrote
Re: Markings on Spanish fishing vessels
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 08:43:35 PM »
Hello, Keith... I'll try it:
The first number indicates the list to which the vessel belongs. In Spain there are nine diferents lists, one for each type of ship. All fishing boats are registered in the third (3) list.
The letters after that number indicates the 'maritime province' which the boat is registered and the following number is a district into that province.

Here you have a link with all 'maritime provinces' and districts in Spain:
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provincia_maritima

In your example 'CO-2', means that the fishing boat is registered in the province of 'La Coru

Offline Bruce Salt

• MR
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 10:55:30 AM »
Thanks for bringing this mystery to light Keith and also to Manuel for clarification or should I perhaps say for deciphering what these letters and numbers mean.
I too have wondered for a long time, anyway after reading your posting I am now confused, here's why - Let's look at the Spanish Bottom Longliner COSTA DO CEO (posted by me April 2007) this vessel's marking are: 3A VI-7-3553 but the vessel is reportedly built in 2003.  Everything else that Manuel has explained about "decoding" is understood except when it comes to determining the year of construction.
(3) would mean 2003 but then what happens after 2010 for example how could one define between vessels built from 2000 to after 2010?

Sorry to pin you down Manuel but I wonder if you or anyone else might be able to shed some light please??

Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

Regards
Bruce (St. Helena Island)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 11:12:19 AM by Bruce Salt »

Offline Keith Bassett

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 11:19:14 AM »
Hi Manuel,
Thank you for that.Ive asked several people when I've been in Spain,but could not get an explanation.Good old shipspotting.com !!
Best wishes
Keith

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 12:41:50 PM »

Offline Manuel Mohedano Torres

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Calabrote
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 02:08:59 PM »
Hello again...
Bruce, the external marking you have post is an example of the old system of registration in which there was not a year reference, only 'list number' (3a, third), 'province' and 'district' (VI-7) and 'page' or 'sheet' (3553). I'm not sure about the correct name of this last field in english... is 'folio' in spanish.

In your example, '3a' means this is a ship of the third list (fishing vessels), 'VI-7' indicates that is registered in the maritime province of Vigo and in the district of Bayona. The rest of the digits is the 'sheet'.

If I'm not wrong and my memory serves me right, I think this method of registration is prior to 1989. From that moment, there is a field for the year (two digits) in the registration number (99 for 1999, 00 for 2000...).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 02:13:58 PM by Manuel Mohedano Torres »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk