Author Topic: OLD tugboats  (Read 3120 times)

Offline snocky

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
OLD tugboats
« on: July 10, 2011, 10:49:18 PM »
Wonder if some old salt out there from canada remembers tug HAIDA CHIEFTAIN formerly FOUNDATION LILLIAN( out of halifax during 2nd world war)?. Worked aboard this great old seadog of a tug hauling log barges all over west coast of vancouver island bc canada in 1970, 1971. Wonder if she is still on the go as she was a beautiful tug in rough weather & i remember many nights rolling in the bunk being so comfortable & secure with the creaking of her old timbers. What a memory.

Offline Leonard Cohen

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: OLD tugboats
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 12:45:32 AM »
If this is the one:

The 145-foot steel tugboat was built as a U.S. Navy tug by Foundation Marine Co. in 1944, and named Foundation Lillian. (Farley Mowat wrote a couple of good books about the Foundation tugs and their salvage work and tows in the Atlantic.)

Then check out this website. It looks like your favorite tug is still in operation:

http://mvwindwalker.blogspot.com/2009/02/haida-chieftain.html

Enjoy!
-Doc.

Offline snocky

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: OLD tugboats
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 03:20:07 PM »
Thanks so much doc. Looking up my few old sea days, i was an oiler aboard her 36 days in fall of 1972. We loaded barge full of logs in barclay sound on the last trip. What a fantastic old tug as i really enjoyed her steady roll & creaking while in bunk after finishing watch. I used to do engine room watch, & on shift finish would work dozer boats pushing logs to barge for loading. Great job as as long as i was not overtired i could work pretty well all i wanted when loading & when steaming get good rest & think about her days on atlantic with JOSEPHINE & FRANKLIN doing such fantastic salvage work. Yes FARLEY MOWAT wrote that great book "GREY SEAS UNDER"& commended great work done by some of the "NEWFOUNDLAND" seamen aboard as well as others. I,m so proud of these seamen. God bless & hope she (HAIDA CHIEFTAIN) sails for quite awhile yet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk