Author Topic: Tragic Collision in Kiel Canal  (Read 14354 times)

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Tragic Collision in Kiel Canal
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 07:55:37 PM »
Good news first:

The master and the crew member of Tyumen 2 are no longer in danger to life according to police sources.

As to the cause of the collision: technical or human failure. Investigations are concentrating on both ships' "blackbox" (don't know any better English expression for "Schiffsdatenschreiber"), though that of Tyumen 2 has still to be recovered from the bottom of Kiel Canal...

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 10:10:11 PM »
HI JENS

VDR = Voyage Data Recorder it,s called

rgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 03:41:03 PM »
Salvage operation was done in 3 hours this morning without any problems.
During this time the sistership TYUMEN-1 passed the scene.

http://www.sh-touri.de/fotos/tyumen1_02.jpg

Tug with pontoon is now on the way to the shipyard Nobiskrug in Rendsburg for further investigation, the wreck must be discharged and turned 180
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 08:16:01 PM by miraflores »

Offline SteKrueBe

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 05:03:33 PM »
I wonder, if the upper wheelhouse is constructed from aluminium. Could be an explanation for the relatively low resistance against beeing torn off from the wheelhouse deck. I remember some noteworthy corrosion between steel and alumina construction on other ships, i was sailing on.

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 08:09:35 PM »
Thanks, Captain!

Voyage data recorder... I'll try to keep that in mind.

Offline Magogman

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://magogman.blogspot.com
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 12:16:05 AM »
That is a terrible accident.  I have wondered about vessels moving in fog since an incident I experienced some years ago on a small cruise vessel traveling from Detroit, Michigan north to Port Huron, Michigan.  We were crossing the shallow Lake St. Clair in very dense fog when the captain announced that we were close to an oncoming Great Lakes bulker and he was going to stop and pull out of the navigation channel and wait for the ship to pass.  A few minutes later the downbound bulker appeared suddenly out of the fog and very close without any noise whatsoever and then disappeared quickly back into the fog.  I was amazed at the lack of noise from the ship and how close to us it was when we first saw it. There are times that I remember that incident and realize that our captain really knew what he was doing.  There was not any room for error.
    I also remember being out on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel Highway at the rest area where the tunnel goes under the navigation channel into Norfolk/Newport News and I heard both an outbound and inbound ship meeting each other at that location and never seeing either ship. Visibility was zero at the time and the channel was only a few hundred yards wide.
    There are times when I am glad I am a landlubber -- not many but just a few!
My blog with narrative and more photos is located at:
http://magogman.blogspot.com

read the introduction and also there are about 5 different blogs of ships and railroads

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk