Author Topic: Language  (Read 2759 times)

Offline Arnes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Language
« on: March 05, 2011, 04:37:10 AM »
I am wondering sometimes if I have come to the correct site, as now most comments to photos are in French. And they ar not from France. When I entered the site for a look now, all comments to photos was in something that must be French, which is not understandable by most people. And as I like to look at photos and comments, this is now less worth.
It reminds me of my time with ships up in Quebec and P.E.I., how helpless people was when they only could speak one language. But I should think Canadians are able to speak English also, so that they could be understood in other parts of the world.
Anyway, they post a lot of excellent photos, just dont let them be unintersted because of the language

Offline jimbo123

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Re: Language
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 04:50:05 AM »
It's a good point that you raise about this site's language policy, if any.

As for those French Canadians, I can usually get by with my schoolboy French, but if I get stuck I use Google Translate which gets it pretty right most of the time from French to English -- but can create some very bizarre sentences going the other way!

Offline Daniel B

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 02:32:51 PM »
Merci,Messieurs. Et je vous souhaite de passer une belle journ

Offline Jordan Seifarth

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 06:14:52 PM »
Given that most people add no information other than location and date (if we're lucky) I personally dont care if French or German speakers etc chose to add additional information in their own languages. We have ship photographers from all over the world here and it can not be assumed that they can all speak good enough English to write what they want in the English language. I think trying to force people to write in English will just get backs up and stop them from sharing their photos on the site, then no one wins. As things stand its not hurting anyone.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 08:22:47 PM »
Jordan, we are talking mainly about comments. Not the information that goes with the photo.

Brgds
Phil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk