Author Topic: Katharina S in trouble on Thames  (Read 4475 times)

BobS

Katharina S in trouble on Thames
« on: January 07, 2011, 04:06:40 PM »
Containership KATHARINA S is presently being towed astern up Gravesend Reach on the Thames, back towards Tilbury, from where she had departed about an hour ago. Tugs CORRINGHAM and SMIT AHOADA are in charge.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Katharina S in trouble on Thames
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 04:19:14 PM »
Just been looking at AIS to see whats about on the Thames and wondered what these two tugs were doing. The KATHARINA S is not showing though, perhaps a power failure.

Looks like the SVITZER JOSEPHINE & STANFORD are heading there at speed as well.

Regards

Bob
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 04:23:47 PM by Robert J Smith »

BobS

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 04:22:45 PM »
It does indeed look like a major power failure. It now looks that the tugs are trying to put her  alongside Tilbury Power Station jetty. They have turned the ship around and SVITZER JOSPHINE is taking the bow along with CORRINGHAM, with the Smit tug on the stern where, I think, she is about to be joined by STANFORD.
Frustratingly my view is partly obstructed by Clubb's Wharf and a tree in my garden, plus it is raining and dark.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 04:34:10 PM by Bob Scott »

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 04:51:10 PM »
At this time 1648 local Katharina S appears, according to AIS LIVE, to be alongside Tilbury Power Station jetty being attended to by the following SMIT AHOADA,CORRINGHAM,STANFORD and PLA Vessel GUNFLEET. Hope all is o.k. Rgds jw ??? ???

BobS

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 04:56:32 PM »
Almost there but not secured yet and still showing navigation and red mast-head lights.

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 05:10:20 PM »
All the action happens in the dark... or while I'm stuck in this office. ::)
Rgds
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 05:14:38 PM »
JJ you should get out more !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 01:17:48 PM »
I heard through the grapevine that she had a complete main engine failure and the pilot called for the tugs to re-attach plus asked for others for assistance.

Which raises the question, have the operators of CORRINGHAM and SMIT AHOADA now got contracts to work the container ships? Up to now I have only seen Svitzer tugs working them.

Regards

Bob

Offline laurie

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 05:03:23 PM »
When I was at Gravesend on 20 August 2010 the Stanford was at Tilbury Landing Stage. She then moved to assist the containership Vecht Trader leaving Northfleet Hope. I was told by another enthusiast, that these tugs had a contract for one  ( or possibly more) of the regular services form the container terminal although this is the only time I have seen one used.After assisting, the tug followed the ship downriver, presumably returning to Coryton

Laurie

BobS

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 05:42:21 PM »
Targe Towing does have a contract to work the MOL ships which come to Tilbury. It may have recently won some others that I don't know about but, in recent months they have tended to keep a tug on station in Gravesend Reach (I can see from home that SMIT AHOADA is there now).
Yesterday afternoon, CORRINGHAM and SMIT AHOADA (the latter is managed and operated by Targe) were anchored together in Gravesend Reach, down below the Sea Training (now Police) School and abour 1 km downriver of Denton Wharf, where the Svitzer tugs are based. They were the nearest to the ship when things went wrong.
I don't know, though, whether this was a full-blown salvage operation or a simple towing contract.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 05:43:52 PM by Bob Scott »

Offline Ancient Mariner

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 06:20:05 PM »
SMIT AHOADA and CORRINGHAM sailed the Katherina S from Northfleet Upper.

Re-attached following engine failure in vacinity of Denton Wharf.

SMIT AHOADA on Port Shoulder
CORRINGHAM centre lead aft
STANFORD called up from Coryton for Port quarter.

SVITZER JOSEPHINE not involved.

Offline Young Mariner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 08:04:04 PM »
Ahh now thats not nice, she has had a hard 10 years in Africa and seems to be coping well in her new area Im sure under her new management she will improve her looks at a rapid rate going by the other 3 they have in the river

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk