Author Topic: and this photo pirated too ?...  (Read 9067 times)

Offline polsteam

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://ships.greenet.pl/photo
despite using "polsteam" for my nick I have NO personal (professional) or business connections with the company of the same name

Re: and this photo pirated too ?...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 12:58:02 PM »
Even more galling is that Odin is a member of this site!!!

Regards

Offline polsteam

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
Of course I understand this:
"In a situation such as this where a ship is in trouble the the priority is to get it into print or on the TV as soon as possible..."

But even more so (if they use first then ask) they should pay you.

I understand that NOT IN EVERY CASE we can get what we deserve (royalties for publication), but this is not (should not be) the reason for giving up right from the start.
This is not only the matter of the interests of particular person and photo affected by Copyright breach case, but it is in the interest of the whole community (for potential future cases) that the publisher who is breaching Copyright is not left unbothered...

I think in EACH and EVERY CASE the publisher should be "bothered" by the Author of photo published without his prior permission.
Not always the royalty (publication fee) will be paid (because there are some villains in this world who d not want to be honest), but in most cases it will be paid and at least villains should know that we know, that we should be paid for published photo.
despite using "polsteam" for my nick I have NO personal (professional) or business connections with the company of the same name

Offline polsteam

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 01:09:26 PM »
www.odin.tc  is the member ?...

Online tropic maritime images

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 02:27:34 PM »
Hmmm,

Looking down odin's page and there appears to be a nice aerial shot of the DE XIN HAI. If anyone's got a contact for the "gentleman" concerned, please post here.

Thanks
tropic

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 02:33:54 PM »

tropic wrote:
Hmmm,

Looking down odin's page and there appears to be a nice aerial shot of the DE XIN HAI. If anyone's got a contact for the "gentleman" concerned, please post here.

Thanks
tropic

Try a PM to him via this site?

Regards

Online tropic maritime images

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 02:47:16 PM »
Thanks Steve,

I found a "contact us" email address on his website and have fired off a "please explain" to him.

Cheers,
tropic

Offline Deli

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 03:50:33 PM »
Here is another pirate website
i'm sure unpermitted
Same ship's photo by Derek Lilley but another angle
http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo-1017640-ST+JAMES+PARK
http://www.denizhaber.com.tr/dis-basindan/23246/somali-korsan-aden-korfezi-tanker.html
regards
8-) :pint:

Offline Dmitry Rostopshin

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • World of lighthouses
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 04:17:10 PM »
Is it really necessary to fight against non-commercial distribution of photos? As i know e.g. flickr and airliners.net allow this...
Admin of categories: Buoy/Lighthouse Maintenance % Lightships, Cement Carriers,
Collecting photos of lighthouses

Offline polsteam

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 05:43:58 PM »
but here (with this odin website) we are not talking about non-comercial use after all.

it is commercial.

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 08:08:55 PM »
How do you know it is a commercial site?
I work for Radio Netherlands www.rnw.nl  and guess what, it is non commercial.
Cheers Fred

Offline Dmitry Rostopshin

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • World of lighthouses
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 08:22:14 PM »
I'm not a lawyer actually, but IMHO that's quite thin line between these terms (of course if you are not directly selling stolen pictures). E.g. in wiki there is an article re to US laws which as i understand allow distribution of copyrighted data in some cases: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
Admin of categories: Buoy/Lighthouse Maintenance % Lightships, Cement Carriers,
Collecting photos of lighthouses

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 08:28:50 PM »

mitko wrote:
I'm not a lawyer actually, but IMHO that's quite thin line between these terms (of course if you are not directly selling stolen pictures). E.g. in wiki there is an article re to US laws which as i understand allow distribution of copyrighted data in some cases: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

This particular piece from the source quoted above makes interesting reading:

"Fair use on the Internet

A US court case in 2003, Kelly v. Arriba Soft Corporation, provides and develops the relationship between thumbnails, inline linking and fair use. In the lower District Court case on a motion for summary judgment, Arriba Soft was found to have violated copyright without a fair use defense in the use of thumbnail pictures and inline linking from Kelly's website in Arriba's image search engine. That decision was appealed and contested by Internet rights activists such as the Electronic Frontier Foundation, who argued that it is clearly covered under fair use.

On appeal, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals found in favor of the defendant. In reaching its decision, the court utilized the above-mentioned four-factor analysis. First, it found the purpose of creating the thumbnail images as previews to be sufficiently transformative, noting that they were not meant to be viewed at high resolution like the original artwork was. Second, the fact that the photographs had already been published diminished the significance of their nature as creative works. Third, although normally making a "full" replication of a copyrighted work may appear to violate copyright, here it was found to be reasonable and necessary in light of the intended use. Lastly, the court found that the market for the original photographs would not be substantially diminished by the creation of the thumbnails. To the contrary, the thumbnail searches could increase exposure of the originals. In looking at all these factors as a whole, the court found that the thumbnails were fair use and remanded the case to the lower court for trial after issuing a revised opinion on July 7, 2003. The remaining issues were resolved with a default judgment after Arriba Soft had experienced significant financial problems and failed to reach a negotiated settlement."

To avoid the minefield that is Copyright Legislation - the best way to minimise any claims is for the hosting web site (say for instance the BBC News site as an example) to include a thumbnail on their page with a link to the original photographs, i.e. on the Shipspotting web site.

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 06:38:25 AM »
So, according to your logic;
If people don't want their car to be stolen, they shouldn't leave it where people can see it.
If you don't want your house broken in to, don't own one
No, it isn't very sensible, is it?
The logic of those complaining about copyright violation is that they have invested significant amounts of time and money to produce their work.
Any commercial organisation uses photographs etc for one purpose; to attract attention to their product and therefore to increase revenue.
Your logic says that it is OK for someone to do the work (produce the photo) and for someone else to take a profit from it.
As for the issue becoming boring; if you insist on reading and commenting on the issue, then you are boring yourself. During my time as a soldier, that was known as "Self-inflicted injury".
By the way, being told to "Get over yourself" is a bit hollow when it comes from someone who insists on appending his CV to each post!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk