Author Topic: AP Moller Sells Norfolk Line to DFDS  (Read 2473 times)

Re: AP Moller Sells Norfolk Line to DFDS
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 01:13:49 PM »
Some surprise that Phil, especially when DFDS were talking about suspending their Esbjerg to Harwich service, maybe they want to concentrate more on the freight side

Bob Scott

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 04:29:58 PM »
This sale has been mooted/rumoured-about for a couple of years. It is a scenario that I had hoped would not come to pass.
Norfolk Line's Dover-Dunkerque service offers by far the best-value fares on the short crossing - especially for ship-spotters! (better day and short-break fares and much better photo-opportunities at the French port, for a start . . .  and then a half-hour shorter drive to Terneuzen!).
I am not a big fan of DFDS Seaways because, after taking them over, they  closed ALL the ferry services that I found their most useful and, indeed, sometimes needed: Harwich-Bremerhaven; Harwich-Hamburg and Newcastle-Stavanger. And one thing DFDS has never been is CHEAP!
However there is a hope that they will realise that the only way for the Dover-Dunkerque run to remain viable is for it to compensate for the longer crossing time (compared to Calais) with more-competitive fares.

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 05:45:21 PM »
Bob,

Completely agree with your sentiments re the Dover-Dunkerque route.
An absolutely brilliant service with some great discounted fares if you are prepared to be flexible with your times etc.
I receive regular emails from them with details of the latest offers and some of them are amazing.
On top of that, a free on board WiFi network so you can keep up with what is approaching etc via AIS!
Kelvin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk