Author Topic: QE2 to be scrapped?  (Read 6055 times)

Offline Kai R

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
QE2 to be scrapped?
« on: February 09, 2009, 10:32:48 AM »
MaritimeMatters reports:

"February 8: Sources close to Dubai-owned Nakheel, owners of the QE2, indicate the current world financial crisis and stem of tourism to Dubai may have seriously altered or postponed the plans for the conversion of the former Cunarder into a luxury hotel and attraction at the Palm Jumeirah. The original, multi-million USD plans called for a number of radical changes, including: the removal of all lifeboats for a full-beam upperworks superstructure expansion like that done to the SS NORWAY (ex FRANCE) in 1990; addition of a new midsection; rebuilt and squared-off stern for helicopter landings; cylindrical condominium instead of the funnel; gutting of all public rooms and cabins to be replaced with apartments, restaurants and hotel areas; replacement of the machinery with a Broadway-style theater; and removal of the Heritage Trail. With the recent Financial Times reports of Nakheel laying off over 500 employees, purists and fans of the QE2 might have reason to rejoice, at least for now, in that the owners are considering opening the ship "as is", utilizing the current power plant for eating or sleeping on board. Other options would include selling the ship for scrap, although not until public interest in the project has diminished."

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews.html

Regards,

Kai

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
Re: QE2 to be scrapped?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 12:16:24 PM »
Cut it to pieces, instead of reducing her into a glamorama for millionaires. But thats just my view. Let her pass away with some dignity!

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 03:01:30 PM »
Hi Tomas

Couldn't agree more......in an earlier post when there was talk of towing her to Bremerhaven for lengthening, I said I hoped she would cheat them all and sink in the Bay of Biscay - I have not changed my mind.

Allan

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 08:16:03 PM »
I say that they should send her to Hartlepool if they are going to srap her, with the Clem :lol:

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 08:42:36 PM »
I think, to leave it as it is would be the best. As original as possible. So that even it's a hotel, you can still get the ship-feeling onboard. It is enough that there are many ships built already which are just kitsch copies of holiday-camps on land.

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 08:50:46 PM »
Yes I agree, she is probably more of an attraction to more people as she is.

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 10:20:42 AM »
I would much prefer to see her remain as is.  You could still do some minor alterations to her exteriot to cater for larger helicopters and no body would really know.  But as for using her existing powerplant to provide power to the ship, well seeing her last hull survey she go the golden tick of good health, why don't they send her back to work traveling the high seas, there was never a shortage of numbers wanting to travel on her.  But I fully agree on leaving her interior as is.

If the Arabs tried to scrap her, there would be an even huger battle than there was over the SS France/Norway/Blue Lady.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk