Author Topic: SS United States will possibly be sold - for scrap?  (Read 3312 times)

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
SS United States will possibly be sold - for scrap?
« on: February 11, 2009, 10:50:15 PM »
There are speculations that 1952-built SS United States might soon be sold, possibly for scrap. She's been laid up for almost 40 years now.
For the full news please click http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews.html

Regards,
Jens

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
Re: SS United States will possibly be sold - for scrap?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 10:58:06 PM »
Another mastodont bites the dust. Hm....

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 11:07:07 PM »
I'm afraid you're right, Tomas. :-(
To be honest, I never believed that she would ever be sailing again.
Star Cruises just bought her to own an American flagged vessel, in order to be  able to establish NCL America.
In my opinion they never ever intended to refit her...

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 12:40:47 PM »
Hello Jens
Interesting post and reading.
In reality if you spent a couple of million on the 'United States' i guess you would never notice.
Yes she was a great ship and fast but in todays climate my guess is her owners will get rid of her and any preservation society would need  to have millions to not only buy her, but moor her somewhere, Insure her,THEN look at spending serious money.
At her age she may also have a lot of asbestos onboard so they could always send her to ABLE UK at Hartlepool!
Regards
Mike :-)
Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

Offline Kai R

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 03:10:58 PM »
At her age she may also have a lot of asbestos onboard so they could always send her to ABLE UK at Hartlepool

Nope. All the asbestos is supposed to have been removed when she was in eastern europe. That is basically why she is just an empty hull without any interiors.

Regards,

Kai

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 05:19:32 PM »
The United States has always been the subject of speculation and rumour. She has "possibly" been going for scrap for the last 30 odd years !! Though I have to admit that as more time passes, the more likely it will happen.

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 08:52:41 PM »
Hello Mike,
I totally agree with you. The investment to preserve her even in a static role will be enormous. And with economy going downhill all around the world I wouldn't spend my money on her either.
As I said before I never believed Star Cruises wanted to bring her back to life. I'm just wondering that they've kept her for almost five years instead of getting rid of her as soon as they had established NCL America...
Concerning the asbestos Kai is right. It should have been removed in 1993/94 when she was in Sewastopol and her interiors have been removed when she came back to Tuzla in 1994.
Might sound pathetic, but as the title of a popular song around here some years ago said, I think it's "Time to say goodbye"!
And on her way to Alang (or wherever she might go) let her sink in the Atlantic!

Regards,
Jens

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk