Author Topic: Laid Up Ships  (Read 215965 times)

Offline Krispen Atkinson

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Shipping Videos
Re: Laid Up Ships
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2009, 11:59:16 PM »
Brian,

I believe this is not a problem with your equipment - she's had it on/off all day. Be interesting what happens to her in the next few days.

Krispen :lol:

Offline brimar

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2009, 10:24:58 AM »
Thanks again Cornishman....Have been up the ladder this morning to adjust positioning of the antenna...but no different. Moorgate probably Southampton bound soon.
                   I see AUSTRALIAN HIGHWAY 'marking time' in Lyme Bay this morning after plodding down channel against the southwesterly storm at 6 knots last nite..showing Dublin bound & SIERRA NEVADA HIGHWAY at anchor in
'The Box'.
                                  Thanks again for your help.
                                                   Brian.

Offline brimar

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2009, 10:49:40 AM »
Looks like yet another Vehicle Carrier bound for anchorage in 'The Torbay Box'
 'HOEGH CHENNAI' due around1045 today 18/01/09

Offline Krispen Atkinson

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Shipping Videos
« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2009, 12:15:08 PM »
Yes noticed Sierra Nevada Highway late last night heading for Lyme Bay - not sure if she turned off the Isles of Scilly, as I thought I'd seen she was heading for the USA earlier this week? Fleetmate Western Highway is still up off Isle of Wight - not doing much, but Triton Highway is heading from this anchorage Southwards across the channel, but showing destination Zeebrugge, ETA 2/3/09 - perhaps she is going to go the long way to Zeebrugge?

Krispen

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2009, 12:53:09 PM »
Sierra Nevada Highway seems to be having a bit of an adventure!
She left Southampton a couple of days ago for Bremerhaven. A day later she was charging back down the Channel for Southampton; I didn't make a note of the timings but I am sure she didn't have time to get to Bremerhaven and back so must have turned round.
After 5 or 6 hours in Southampton, she set off for Baltimore and was seen heading out of the Channel yesterday.
Now, as you say, she is anchored in Lyme Bay showing destination Brixham Anchorage.
I too thought the gales may have caused her to turn back but why would they change the destination from Baltimore to Brixham if it was merely seeking shelter?
Come to that, why not seek shelter in the Falmouth area?
A couple of days ago, Triton Highway was showing Zeebrugge with an ETA 22/01/09; at this time (Sunday mid-day) she appears to be joining the eastbound channel traffic so I don't believe either the destination or the ETA (I could swim to Zeebrugge in less than 2 months!)
Incidentally, BBC radio and their web site had in interesting article yesterday about how Southampton is being affected. They quoted Honda as having 10,000 cars stockpiled at their Southampton terminal.
And they referred to the car carriers parked off the Isle of Wight.
They also said there are bulkers there which would have cost $250,000 a day to charter can not find any takers at $3,000 per day (no idea how accurate those figures may be)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7833074.stm

Offline brimar

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2009, 01:19:59 PM »
yes you are right Triton Highway heading NE a few minutes ago.....just switched on her last 12 hour track and she is making lovely patterns in the Channel!!

Offline FWE

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2009, 01:59:38 PM »
I understand that if is has not been tested in a court but if they anchor in one place for more than a month they may not be able to claim that they are excercising the right of "anchoring in the course of navigation" and so may then be deemed moored and need to pay either the Crown Estate or the Duchy of Cornwall. or their leaseholders. Eg Sierra Nevada Highway had been at the Nab Anchoroge since 19/12/08 and now a month later has moved to Lyme Bay.

I am using that only for illustration of that type of movement as I have no basis to say that in that particular case it was the reason. I think it may become a feature of "warm lay-ups" to enable owners to reduce costs ie as it is similar to us parking our cars in 30 minute zones and when that time is up driving round the corner to another 30 minute zone to avoid a penalty.

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #172 on: January 18, 2009, 05:36:56 PM »
Looking at Lyme Bay this evening, I wonder if there is another candidate here?
I see Rickmers Dalian heading East with a destination of Port Said.
The company's schedule says it should have left Hamburg on 16 Jan for Jakarta.
Going the wrong way for Port Said/Jakarta?
Meanwhile, Triton Highway has finished making pretty patterns in the Channel and is back were she started!

Offline brimar

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 18, 2009, 05:41:09 PM »
Yes just noticed Rickmer Dalian has done an about turn....it makes you wander how it effects the crews moral of not really know where they are going...certainly keeps us in suspence.

Offline brimar

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2009, 07:42:10 PM »
Looks like 3 more bulkers heading for Torbay. 'PANORIA' 'GALINA 111' & CAPE MERCURY are all showing destinations but that seems to mean very little these days.
          I would normally suspect they are due to drop North Sea Pilots at Brixham or with the bad south  westerly storms yesterday possible dropping overcarried continental River Pilots....but could they be bound for the Torbay 'box' to await orders???

Offline brimar

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 18, 2009, 08:50:08 PM »
British Reg VLCC 'OCANA' due at the Torbay Deep Water Anchorage at approx 2245 18/01/09. ....CHANGE OF PLAN VESSEL NOW GOING TO ANCHOR APPROX 14 MILES ENE OF BERRY HEAD.
STAYING FOR AT LEAST A WEEK. SHE WILL HAVE TO HEAVE UP LATER IN THE WEEK TO CLOSER TO TORBAY TO DO A CREW CHANGE BY PILOT LAUNCH.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 19, 2009, 09:21:19 AM »
Just to clarify the term "warm layup". As I understand it, the evidence of this occurring is mostly vessels coming alongside berths or mooring at port anchorages and thus incurring port costs. It could be applied to vessels at anchor elsewhere but, as far as I know, vessels swinging at anchor off port limits are usually deemed to be "awaiting orders".

Phil

Offline Andrew McAlpine

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 19, 2009, 04:11:46 PM »
Valle Bianca showing sailing from Hamble 1900 tonight "to sea for  orders" looks like another lay up contender.

rgds
Andrew

Offline laurie

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 21, 2009, 09:25:06 PM »
Coastal Bulk Shipping

PLA website shows
Erith Pontoon : Martin
Erith Tier: Falcon and Swift
Erith Reach : Teal

A quick visit to Erith today showed that Teal is at the mooring known as Erith Pontoon. Martin, Falcon and Swift are all alongside each other at Erith Tier.

Laurie

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 21, 2009, 11:13:31 PM »
Hi Andy

AIS showed her as having destination Amsterdam.

Allan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk